Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Best Setting For Jims FF Plate

Hi guys what setting has everyone had best results with Jims FF Plate mines set at .940 .

Handles like a dream

There is no magic setting. It will vary from one ski to another because of differences in power, rider weight, pump setup, etc. I personally can't get my FF plate over .950" or my ski will hop like a kangaroo! But, some guys can go over 1".

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Hello Mike, I have seen ski's at .940 and i have seen ski's at 1.130 that handle great. Each ski is different you have to find the sweet spot. My ski normally is set at 1.000 at the bugs i set it at 1.095 and it was bouncy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by '02GPRider View Post
    There is no magic setting. It will vary from one ski to another because of differences in power, rider weight, pump setup, etc. I personally can't get my FF plate over .950" or my ski will hop like a kangaroo! But, some guys can go over 1".
    On my 2000, no pump extension, trim tabs to the hull, I would start at .950. I ran into the bounce around .980.....as I went higher, it went away. As I angled higher, It came back around 1.21...I took .010 out and it lined out for my fastest speed/handling to suite my style. I currently run 1.12 now I gained my most speed from 1.00 > above

I don't superman so I can run my handling setup a bit looser.

My wife's 2002 EFI was set at 1.12 also. ran 67.5 stock compression in the heat. stock reeds....

every ski/rider/handling preference is different.

How do I do this? Lol

I might be dumb but I have been running the plate with no washers in the back. Only a washer or two in the front for it to line up properly with the pump shoe.

+1
    Billie how are you taking these measurements and what units are you using?

Run a long straight edge from the flat spot at the end of the keel across the pump shoe to the end of the plate. Measure the distance from the end of the plate down to the straight edge in inches. Is how most everyone is taking measurements. I cant speak for Billy but thats probably his way as well.

Oooooo!

I am going to go take mine right now! brb

Make sure the straight edge is long enough (I use a 4' level) and make sure its firmly pushed against the flat spot right behind the keel and the pump shoe.

Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1
    porksword's got the the tricky bits down there. Make sure your straight edge is long enough and you're measuring from the right spot!

And yeah, the shimming on the front of the plate can make a big difference too. I measure about .020" step from the angled sides of the pump shoe to the plate. More of a step and you're losing angle on the plate, less of a step and I get a buck/porpoise that I can't tune out by shimming the back of the plate (evidently something's sticking down somewhere).

Billie, how are you taking out .010"? I can mix and match washers of .020" and .055" thickness, but it'd be nice to be able to get a bit finer on the available shim sizes!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information