Cool 2002 FX140 Gas Consumption/Speed

I have a 2002 FX 140 Waverunner that is new to me and believed to have been well taken care of.

What kind of fuel consumption should I expect?

What kind of speed could be expected on a smooth surface?

2007 FX Cruiser 140

Hey man, I have a brand new FX Cruiser (not the high output) I have used my gps and top speed is about 55-57 mph on a glass surface with the trim just right. As far as gas goes, I am still i the process of figuring that out. I have a 18 gallon tank, and it usually uses about 6 gallons every 2 hours of run time.

Hope that helps

YamahaMan

Well I would say 56-57 mph. I have a friend that almost always goes to the lake with me and one of his buddies brought out his FX HO and VX Deluxe. The VX Deluxe was no contest to the FX HO it seemed like. I never raced the FX HO or cruised next to him but my buddies RX DI was running 59mph on my gps that day and the FX HO beat him slightly. I run 70+ so it would have been horrible for both of them.

So with that said I say the FX HO ran a high 60mph and one with 20 less hp and different pump might run 56 to 57 mph.

if you ride conservatively you can expect 7-8 mpg which will give you about 120+ miles on a tank. i have 2 fx ho s and get that mileage regularly. Thats running about 40-50 mph. The best way to save fuel is to go to WOT. get to max speed back out of the throttle until the rpm drops about 500rpm (on my jets its about 1/3 off full throttle) your actual speed will slow about 1-2mph, your mpg will increase about 3mpg. I ride about 4,000 miles a year. have over 400 hours on the fx ho jets. At WOT you can expect to burn 11.9 gallons per hour. at 2/3 of WOT you will burn about 7.5 gal per hour and only slow your top speed by <2 mph.

hope this helps

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by TennR600 View Post
    if you ride conservatively you can expect 7-8 mpg which will give you about 120+ miles on a tank. i have 2 fx ho s and get that mileage regularly.
    Roy
    That may be true on the Fx HO with the 1052cc engine but not on the 998cc MR1 engine in my 2003 fx cruiser. It only gets 4 mpg at its most efficient. Here is a test that I should have found before I bought it 3 weeks ago.

http://www.boattest.com/Partners/Par...s=#Test-Result

It gets half the mpg of the newer four strokes!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ddleigh View Post
    I have a 2002 FX 140 Waverunner that is new to me and believed to have been well taken care of... What kind of speed could be expected on a smooth surface?
    Top speed on those is usually around 53 mph (GPS)
    Now if your air filter is clogged with oil (very common on those models) your speed will be lower and performance will slowly keep dropping. Best solution is to get the Velocity Stack Kit and the Power Filter to replace the OEM setup and that will get you around 56 mph, and that speed will be retained because you will be rid of the restrictive OEM filter and the replacement won't clog up like the OEM. You can get these parts from Jerry's online store.

Thread Information