+1

98 xpl wear ring vs. 99+ xpl wear ring

so what's the difference? they have different part #'s. are they interchangeable?

+1
    98-99 should be the same. The 2000 and later pumps are plastic not brass..

+1
    I've had the best luck with a OEM wear ring from a 1998 GSX-L (part # 271 000 904) it has a matte finish/fiber look to it. Not a glossy finish like the 99+ wear rings (part # 271 000 653). The "904" wear ring seems to be a bit more durable.

Dan (drb)

+1
    the reason i ask is that the guy at the parts counter said they were different, but couldn't remember what was different about them. the 904 is the stock one for the 98xpl and is the one i ordered.

i am going to get a stainless one made up anyway so this will most likely end up being a spare. i may also have a cast nylon one made up with tighter clearances, but for the price the oem is probably the best way to go.

thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    the reason i ask is that the guy at the parts counter said they were different, but couldn't remember what was different about them. the 904 is the stock one for the 98xpl and is the one i ordered.

i am going to get a stainless one made up anyway so this will most likely end up being a spare. i may also have a cast nylon one made up with tighter clearances, but for the price the oem is probably the best way to go.

thanks

Are you using the original bronze pump or a newer plastic pump? I think a stainlees wear ring might be ok in the bronze pump, but I would be very leary of it in the newer plastic pumps. The plastic pumps deflect much more than the bronze pumps and you might end up eating an impeller and stainless wear ring in a plastic pump. I haven't tried a stainless wear ring in anything other than a Skat pump - just my observations based on the deflection I've seen with the plastic pumps.

Dan (drb)

+1
    it is the plastic pump, so i guess i should also be getting the newer style wear ring? as for the stainless wear ring, i'm already running one in my 96xp, but that is a bronze pump. i would think that the stainless wear ring would stiffen up the pump causing it to deflect less. this stainless wear ring will be solid stainless steel and not a plastic wear ring with a stainless steel insert.

+1
    ok, i got the new wear ring (653) for my plastic pump. took it out this weekend and it cavitates like a sumummma beotch. when i installed it, the clearance looked a bit big, but it was the only thing i had to put in there and thought it would be better than the old wear ring. i'll be pulling it and checking the clearance this week.

so back to the age old question. will the 98 wear ring work in the plastic pump? what are the differences?

thanks

+1
    How did you end up with a 653? Didn't they have the 904 in stock?

Paul is looking for a complete pump for his 2002 RX. He also has the plastic pump. He had it hear on the weekend as he put a rock though it damaging the pump. His impellor and wear ring were also damaged, but it looks like they have had numerous damage over time. There is a brass pump with prop on Ebay in Windsor right now. I told Paul about it as well.

Should there be a plastic pump in a 2002 RX?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
    ok, i got the new wear ring (653) for my plastic pump. took it out this weekend and it cavitates like a sumummma beotch. when i installed it, the clearance looked a bit big, but it was the only thing i had to put in there and thought it would be better than the old wear ring. i'll be pulling it and checking the clearance this week.

so back to the age old question. will the 98 wear ring work in the plastic pump? what are the differences?

thanks

Yes the 98 GSX-L wear ring (part # 271 000 904) will work in the newer plastic pumps. It has a matte finish/fiber look to it, not a glossy finish like the 99+ wear rings (part # 271 000 653). The "904" wear ring seems to be a bit more durable. If you had excess clearance with the "653" wear ring the "904" wear ring probably isn't going to solve your problem. The "653" and "904" wear rings are the same dimensionally - just made from different materials.

Maybe your pumps out of round or your impeller is worn on the outside diameter - just guessing - I don't know why else you would have too much clearance.

Dan (drb)

Dan (drb)

+1
    i'm not sure as to why i have so much clearance either. the pump is fairly round. the gap is .030 - .035" all the way around. too much for my liking and most likely the cause for the cavitation. this wear ring is a bit bigger than the old one, but not by 0.030". i think the impellor is probably worn a bit on the outside edges.

mike, tell paul i will probably have a brand new wear ring to sell him. has an hour on it and still looks brand new. give me a shout when you can.

on a side note, once i got on plane i did manage to gps at 62+mph. can't wait to get the cavitation gone and dial in the impellor. i would think 64 is a reasonable expectation.

Thread Information