Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1

Electric Bilge Pump on U 250X

Has anyone installed one yet? I'd like to see pics and also suggested locations to drill for the discharge and even pump location. Right know i am looking behind the second waterbox or between the engine and gas tank for the pump.

I know the upper deck is prolly the best for the discharge, but also have concerns on sliming up my deck and i don't really want to be pissed on either. (and yes, that's deck with and E)

+1
    You don't have to put it up high. You can put the discharge out, say in the pump tunnel, but may sure you have a safety loop between the pump and the fitting. It needs to go to the top up near the seat support, and then down and out.

+1
    Thanks, ya, the loop. I have heard some say the loop is not recommended by mfg for a possible air gap or something but i don't see the physics behind why it wouldn't work. What do you think about the pump location? I really want to put it between engine and gas tank for ease of mounting and access/service/installation.

The area in front of engine seems lower than behind the waterbox and when running at speed, i don't recall there being much difference in attitude. Of course i also don't know what tthe boat looks like (attitude) when it starts filling with water either, and reluctant to test it!!!lol.

Have you put one on yours?
    Last edited by earthshaker; 06-20-2007 at 12:29 AM.

I dropped ski off at a mechanics tonight for install of the Rule bilge and the Groco strainer. I showed him all the forum posts and pix on these subjects and told him to have at it . Supposed to be done tonight so I can hopefully post tomorrow. Will likely go with a waterproof manual switch in glove box. Wouldve liked to be able to tell you guys I did it all myself but that wouldve been . Guy was very impressed with idea behind the Groco install originally done by TN250 but also commented on "high install" like you did in one of your posts. (I'm not clear what the issue is here and I think he will just follow TN's blueprint). I think the Groco is a must in dirty salt water and kudos and thanx to TN, you and other guys who explained it to me. I want to be as weather, wave and roll proof as possible so I'm gonna be thrilled to have the bilge. The mechanic is a former pro champ so I think he knows what he is doing. I did not discuss the exact location of the discharge outlet which I now see from your post may have been a mistake. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with and I will enjoy hearing your feedback once I post.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue 182 View Post
    I dropped ski off at a mechanics tonight for install of the Rule bilge and the Groco strainer. I showed him all the forum posts and pix on these subjects and told him to have at it . Supposed to be done tonight so I can hopefully post tomorrow. Will likely go with a waterproof manual switch in glove box. Wouldve liked to be able to tell you guys I did it all myself but that wouldve been . Guy was very impressed with idea behind the Groco install originally done by TN250 but also commented on "high install" like you did in one of your posts. (I'm not clear what the issue is here and I think he will just follow TN's blueprint). I think the Groco is a must in dirty salt water and kudos and thanx to TN, you and other guys who explained it to me. I want to be as weather, wave and roll proof as possible so I'm gonna be thrilled to have the bilge. The mechanic is a former pro champ so I think he knows what he is doing. I did not discuss the exact location of the discharge outlet which I now see from your post may have been a mistake. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with and I will enjoy hearing your feedback once I post.
    I can't wait to see it! I'll bet it will be the pump tunnel and loop unless he has a stainless fitting in stock. By far the easiest spot to put it is between the engine/gas tank.

+1
    You don't HAVE to use the loop, if you put your outlet high on the hull. However, if you put your outlet LOW on the hull, water will backwash INTO your hull, therefore you need the loop.

+1
    ya thx, i understand the concept.

What do you think about the pump location? Have you put one on yours?

+1
    Not yet. But rest assured, I learned a long time ago the value of a good bilge pump, especially if you ride offshore.

I like to put the ski in the water at the lake, and pour in a gallon or two of water, and see where it runs to. I then like to put my pump in that "area."

Just a personal preference thing, ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotoys View Post
    ... but may sure you have a safety loop between the pump and the fitting. It needs to go to the top up near the seat support, and then down and out.

So are you guys in agreement that the safety loop is mandatory. I'm confused cuz of EShkrs comment re "manfr's recomm." I'm more nervous now cuz I didn't realize I was making my grrl a guinea pig. I wouldve had a more detailed discussion with the guy if I'd seen your pump & discharge location and loop discussion before. May have some insomnia tonight.

Sorry, I asked the last question before I read HToys last post. That answers it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information