Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

new ultra 250x and ultra lx

I bought my first jet ski ultra 250X last Saturday and followed up Thursday with the ultra LX. The 250X is the first jet ski I have ever ridden. I like speed and power. I have been racing and modifying mustangs(Turbo 4V in the garage tore apart right now) for close to 10 years and Saturday I decided I wanted to start riding jet skis.

Starter information on my ski. I know the speedometer is not reliable, but I think may be ok for a quick reference. I will be picking up a hand held GPS real soon.

highest mph seen on speedometer consistently 64-65
    highest mph with full tank of gas and cooler in the front 61
    1/2 tank 63

Things I have noticed if I stick my head up on a top speed run I lose 1-2 mph indicated.

highest rpm as seen on the digital display 78xx, most of the time 7650-7750. Gas level has a huge effect on rpms and speed.

If I sit as far back as possible I pick up indicated mph.

The ski is very stable and rides great through choppy water.

The acceleration is a thrill at any speed.

The ride is wet if you try and do anything other than straight line.

The storage compartment up front will get water in it.

Great forum here. I have been doing a lot of searching and reading. This is all new to me and I want to learn as much as I can before the mods begin.

Jason

Silence! I Keel You! earthshaker's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    I bought my first jet ski ultra 250X last Saturday and followed up Thursday with the ultra LX. The 250X is the first jet ski I have ever ridden. I like speed and power. I have been racing and modifying mustangs(Turbo 4V in the garage tore apart right now) for close to 10 years and Saturday I decided I wanted to start riding jet skis.

Starter information on my ski. I know the speedometer is not reliable, but I think may be ok for a quick reference. I will be picking up a hand held GPS real soon.

highest mph seen on speedometer consistently 64-65
    highest mph with full tank of gas and cooler in the front 61
    1/2 tank 63

Things I have noticed if I stick my head up on a top speed run I lose 1-2 mph indicated.

highest rpm as seen on the digital display 78xx, most of the time 7650-7750. Gas level has a huge effect on rpms and speed.

If I sit as far back as possible I pick up indicated mph.

The ski is very stable and rides great through choppy water.

The acceleration is a thrill at any speed.

The ride is wet if you try and do anything other than straight line.

The storage compartment up front will get water in it.

Great forum here. I have been doing a lot of searching and reading. This is all new to me and I want to learn as much as I can before the mods begin.

Jason
    Right on Jason, well put and welcome. It's alot of fun....except when at the pump. You'll get used to it....assume the position.

+1
    gas mileage

Almost the same riding time I did cut up more and do more highs speed runs

250X warning buzzer

ultra lx half tank

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JWilson View Post
    gas mileage

Almost the same riding time I did cut up more and do more highs speed runs

250X warning buzzer

ultra lx half tank
    zactly!

How do you like the LX acceleration, blah, blah, blah. I was kinda leaning on one to go longer on a trip. I'll need to test ride one first. The Ultra's are cadilacs!

Any FL folks remember the "Wild Cat"?? Pickle fork front end with 500cc two stroke sit down style?

+1
    I have not been on the LX. My wife rides it. I know she can run with a stock yamaha FX. She says it has plenty of kick and dream meter has seen 55.

The first time we took both out we rode basically the same speed and time all day and I had to put 10 gallons in each.

Of course I have only had both skis out twice so any real comparison has not happened.

I see you mentioned getting a hand help GPS. I've been thinking about getting one as well. Are there any preferred models that anyone can recommend?

+1
    So did you follow the break in recommendations or just hammer on it out of the box?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Edify View Post
    I see you mentioned getting a hand help GPS. I've been thinking about getting one as well. Are there any preferred models that anyone can recommend?
    Looks like most have Garmin brand inlcuding myself. Some will float, most will sink, but nearly all garmin are waterproof with limitation to "proof"! Seems the WAAS tecnology it the cat's meow for accuracy. I resulted in picking up one second hand from somebody on Craigslist and got a super deal in mint condition with maps (extra stuff you buy later and cost nearly 25% of the nicer units themselves). Some of the nicer units, color with options such as mapping (like in cars or commercial boats) are pretty expensive for what they are in my opinion. The $100 ones will probably suit for speed, but have no mapping and other features you may or may not want.

Best advice is to determine for yourself what features you will, and might anticipate needing/wanting, then determine if you can plunk the dough for what it is and go get it.

+1
    I did not shy away from WOT, but I did not stay at WOT for very long till I was very near 5 hours. I didn't baby the ski, but I can't say I abused it either.

Jason

Ive got a garmin 76csx, got it on ebay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information