Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'94 SL 750 Fuel Problem

Hello everyone,

I just got a 94 sl 750 at the end of last season. I replaced the fuel pump with a tripple one last year and fogged the motor for winter. When I put it in the water for the first time today, only one of the three cylinders was working(Pto). All the others were ice cold. The Mag cylinder started working when i sprayed gas into it( Carb rebuild I guess). But my question is with the middile one. When I attempted to spray fuel into it, it just spit all the fuel back at me, as if it was blowing everything out the carb. There was a nice flow of air comming out of the carb. What could cause this? Stuck / broken reeds? All the cylinders are at 125psi, all three cylinders spark, and the fuel pump is new.

im by far NO Expert but i was told its the Reeds when it spitts it back

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Correct. If you are going to rebuild the carbs, all you need to do is remove the intake manifold and the reeds are right there for inspection. Me personally, would buy performance reeds for it any way, better accel and a little more MPH.

+1
    Sure sounds like it needs reeds to me, you'll know as soon as you inspect them.
    Let us know what you find.

Ok, I pulled the reed cages and found that the middle cylinder had a reed that was cracked in half. The other two reeds are starting to have the corners crack off. I guess I have to replace them all. Any suggestions on brand / place to purchase from? Keep in mind I really don;t want to sink too much money into this. Are used reed / cages from e-bay acceptable. If a reed lets go, any chance of engine damage. Do I worry about that chunck of reed in the crankcase? At last, can I reuse the old gaskets with a bit of RTV or bad idea, Polaris dealer wants almost $50 just for the gaskets.

Thanks

Thanks

+1
    There are a lot of guys that have the reed gaskets and they don't cost 50 bucks, look around. You really don't want to re-use the gasket if you can help it, one little air leak and you have issues.

If bucks are tight but some used ones from somebody who upgraded their reeds.

what gaskets are you talking about? when i pulled my reeds some of the gaskets tore (i reused the ones that were in good shape and not damaged at all) so i got some new ones for something like $.60 from http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/ they've got other gaskets for good prices too. i had no problems re using the gaskets i did, just make sure they're in good shape

+1
    What gaskets are you looking for? What is your 20?
    Oh and Welcome to the Hulk.

Forgot to mention, my location is Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Any good places to buy north of the boarder? I am looking for the 6 gaskets around the reed cages, and the 3 gaskets between the carb and intake plus reeds. Anyone have used reeds from an upgrade?

Thanks

I finally got to looking at all the carbs. I found that all three carbs had the diaphram almost glued to the diaphram cover. Fuel problem solved! What causes this, and is it good to shoot some carb cleaner in the diaphram cover breather hole to prevent this from happening?

At last I am thinking of buying all my parts at atlantic jet sports or SBT, any comments before I buy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information