Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

Anybody Have Some Knee boarding Tips for a beginner?

I want to learn how to knee board but not sure what kind of board to buy. What style board is good for a beginner? Do I want the rounded tip or the pointed tip board? Also Is knee boarding hard to learn or can one pick it up rather quickly? I read that starting on your belly and pulling up on to your knees is the least difficult to do. Any tips are greatly apriciated.

Quote Originally Posted by holdnon72 View Post
    I want to learn how to knee board but not sure what kind of board to buy. What style board is good for a beginner? Do I want the rounded tip or the pointed tip board? Also Is knee boarding hard to learn or can one pick it up rather quickly? I read that starting on your belly and pulling up on to your knees is the least difficult to do. Any tips are greatly apriciated.
    Kneeboarding is probably one of the easier to learn board sports. I learned on a beginner, thick plastic board. Start off on your belly and pull your way up with the rope handle while stabilizing yourself with your elbows on the board. Then grab that board strap and strap your knees in. Lean back and enjoy the ride. You will soon learn how to carve left and right, then go out far and come in fast to clear that wake. You will have a hard time doing that with a beginner style board. I ride one of these, http://www.hosports.com/gear/product?id=9136 , by far the best board I've been on. It's the Joker model. Very fast and predictable board.
    Have fun and keep your leading edge up or you'll take a nice nose dive.

Frank

Def. start on your belly, get the boat pulling you just slow enough that the board does not plane out. I usually push the rope handle down with my hands on the front of the board and pop my knees up. I did notice that some of the newer boards have a "pop up hook" on the front that will hold the rope for you while you get up. I would try this for a beginner, then once you are up, you grab the rope and hold on. Go with the rounded board as they are more agile and carve better.

I used to love knee boarding when I was younger, now I'm paying for it with my knees, I would go with wakeboading if I where you....just my 02 cents

+1
    All good advice ... I used to kneeboard but when I broke a reinforced knee strap, I gave it up to stick with slalom skiing. As they have said, keep the front tip UP, keep your weight back, especially when getting over waves and chop. It is hard to enjoy unless there are very few waves and boat wakes, but calm water is a blast on a knee board.

Another starting option, works especially good for helping younger kids pick it up, is starting on the beach. Slack tow rope, strap in with the back of the board slightly on the beach so its still stable. Slowly idle out the slack, then take off, you hardly even get wet, very easy way to launch.

Closed mouth no get fed,...... travelboysteve's Avatar
    Kneepads,......nuff said,.......oh,..maybe a back brace, too

As far as which kneeboard to get. I would maybe start with a cheep one if you have to buy one. If you like it and get good, then get a better one. If you don't like it then you aren't out alot of cash.

There is a local sport shop near me that lets you demo(rent) high end boards for the day for a small price. If you buy then the rental price get credited towards your purchase. Might be worth checking out.

Or just ask a nice person at the lake if you can try theirs. Maybe offer them a ride in your boat. The landing is always a friendly area in my lake
    Last edited by HoopsRXT; 06-24-2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: typo

Thread Information