Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

4-tech 185HP motors

I am looking at older sea-doo's for a friend. What is the difference in the 185HP version VS the 215's.

Are the motors or SC's different? How did sea-doo get the extra power? Is this something that can be modded with out putting a large dent on the wallet? Or is it just better to look at the newer models?

thanks

The 215 hp versions are intercooled, the 185's are not.

+1
    The difference in hp is mainly because of the intercooler. There are other things different between the engines including internals. IMO it's better to look at the newer skis (215hp models). That way you get to the same MPH for less money put into it. If you're looking for 70 mph and the 185hp machine is thousands less than a RXP you could always mod the 185hp to go around 70.

My buddy rode my RXP and loved it but, it is a little out of his price range. He really wants a 3 seater so I was looking at older GTX's.

Will there be a big difference between the two. The 2 being an older GTX vs. a newer RXT. I would just hate for him to be disappointed after riding mine even though he rode my RXP and Ultra 250.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tckylem View Post
    My buddy rode my RXP and loved it but, it is a little out of his price range. He really wants a 3 seater so I was looking at older GTX's.

Will there be a big difference between the two. The 2 being an older GTX vs. a newer RXT. I would just hate for him to be disappointed after riding mine even though he rode my RXP and Ultra 250.
    Rode a 06 185hp GTX, he wont be disappointed for the price u can pick them up for compared to an RXP or RXT... though i have seen very reasonable prices on used RXPs and RXTs now that i think about it.. ran pretty even with my buddys stock stx15f, decent holeshot, about 61-62mph top speed on gps.. i havent ridden a stock RXP in awhile so i cant really compare, but id said a RXP or Ultra 250 will pull it a few boat lengths (3-4) out of the hole and slowly walk away on the top end.. In the end when buying used id be looking at things like hours, condition, warranty left etc

I know 4 strokes last much longer then 2 strokes. What would be considered too many hours for a 4 stroke?

Tough to tell, depends on how they've been ridden and maintained. Driven by a little old man and given proper maintanence, hundreds of hours are no prob. Rode hard, put away wet, salt water, broken ceramic s/c washers, lack of maintenance = short life.

If I had to it all over, I'd get the RXT. 3-seat hull, RXP engine, best of both worlds. Initially my GTX's were a relative bargain, but I've had to spend lots of money to get up to the RXT level and still limited by the cast piston, non- intercooled 185hp. Start with the RXT, have a reputable Seadoo mechanic check it out. If possible get it hooked up to Seadoo's BUDS computer, check the maintenance records and history.

Look at it this way, will your friend be "totally" satisfied with a 3 seater that does about 61mph with no mods? If he is, then I am sure he can get a killer deal and he should go for it. If he even thinks that he will be getting the "mod bug" then go with an RXT and pay the extra. Just to get that GTX to match the extras on an RXT will cost a few grand easily. By this, I am talking about replacing the pistons, adding the intercooler, and changing the ECU. Believe me by looking at my sig below, "been there, done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Look at it this way, will your friend be "totally" satisfied with a 3 seater that does about 61mph with no mods? If he is, then I am sure he can get a killer deal and he should go for it. If he even thinks that he will be getting the "mod bug" then go with an RXT and pay the extra. Just to get that GTX to match the extras on an RXT will cost a few grand easily. By this, I am talking about replacing the pistons, adding the intercooler, and changing the ECU. Believe me by looking at my sig below, "been there, done that"
    I doo agree! thousands that will easily overrun the price differences between the GTX and a new RXT...PR...

I have a 06 GTX SC, so I was happy to see this post because I had wondered the same thing.

So a quick question or 2... If the intercooler was a major difference, can I add an external intercooler to my ski and by doing so would the performance gains be greater than the performance gains seen on the 215hp version with the same intercooler addition? I see most claim about 15hp or so with an external IC, however, that seems to be the figure for the 215hp motor which already has an IC. So one without would benifit ever greater possibly?

Has anybody pulled the IC from a 215hp motor and dyno'd with no IC?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information