Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Virage - Help - need advice

Looking at picking up a 2nd ski for the up and coming son. Need a 'low budget' ski, and ran across a 2002 Polaris Virage TX, 70hrs, 1 owner dealer left over bought in 04, cover and trailer for $3500 OBO. Here is the catch, the guy siezed the motor this spring, it's in for a rebuild now, should be out by the end of the week. Did have to be bored, new pistions, crank seals, ect. Being built by a local shop. Should I keep looking, or hope for the best that this ski will be rebuilt, and should be problem free? Is this a 2 or 3 seater, and did it have any serious issues? Any help would be appreciated.

+1
    First I'd like to say WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

Are you sure it's an 02 TX and not a TXI or other model? It will make a difference to the opinions you get here.
    Can you verify it's a triple carbureted engine?

Opinion

Friend of mine has a 2002 TX and it is a nice ski. This is a three cylinder that will get you around 55-58 MPH. I have a 2002 TXi and I love the ride.

You have to figure out how comfortable you are with the dealer that is re-building the engine. Have they done this before? will they give you any warranty? How did the engine sieze in the first place???? This is very important to know!! If is is a oil pump issue, you want to make sure it is fixed also. 70 hours on that engine is nothing.

If they are doing the engine right...they will have a least $1000 in parts and labor into it. If they do a good rebuild and the rest of the craft is in good shape....it is a very nice ski.

Kelly Blue Book places the value for tradein around $3000 and retail around $4200.

Yes, it is a Carb engine. His story was he didn't have it winterized last year, keep it in a heated garage, first trip out it siezed. He did say the mechanic was going into the bottom end because of a seal, was not building pressure. I've been in many 2 stroke bikes, but never a ski, does it need pressure to oil inject? That would happen due to a pump, right? like an outboard. He is currently having issues finding pistons, apparently everyone has them backordered. I don't mind getting a deal, but not a headache.

+1
    If the seal goes bad, you wind up with a lean running condition which of course will take down a cylinder. Seems odd it would go bad at 70 hours.......
    The pistons are readily available through the dealer, Wiseco, WSM etc. No back orders and I'm seeing plenty available.

Talk to the Mechanic

Try to talk to the Mechanic that is re-building the unit. Find out if there was any rust in the engine. If he did not winterize it last year....not sure he took very good care of it.

$3000 BO....that way you have some room if you need a new engine later....with SBT or others.

More Info

Ski is done. Here is the scoop, and I think it's all alittle strange. The mechanic was actually the guys brother, have no idea of his experence. The crank was not hurt in the sieze. The culprit from what they tell me was a small filter in the carb that was plugged and leaned out #2. That makes sense. What bothers me about this whole deal is the fact the guy didn't tell me at first his brother was doing the work, and the fact the ski was for sale before it was rebuilt, does this sound like a 'Patch Job' to anyone elese, or am I being paronoid?

Ask to see the reciepts for the parts that were replaced during the repair. That will give you an idea about what kind of job was done.

Ask for a warranty.

I have a Virage and love it. Let us know what you decide.

I'm feeling naturally aspirated today pirate33's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hnswfty View Post
    Ski is done. Here is the scoop, and I think it's all alittle strange. The mechanic was actually the guys brother, have no idea of his experence. The crank was not hurt in the sieze. The culprit from what they tell me was a small filter in the carb that was plugged and leaned out #2. That makes sense. What bothers me about this whole deal is the fact the guy didn't tell me at first his brother was doing the work, and the fact the ski was for sale before it was rebuilt, does this sound like a 'Patch Job' to anyone elese, or am I being paronoid?
    Oh, OH Al's thread again
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28974

Looks like another ski with gas stolen from Al's RV

Brother doing work!!

I love this type of ski but I think the risk meter is at full tilt.
    didn't tell me at first his brother was doing the work
    If you do go for this ski, I would take it to a GOOD mechanic that has worked on Many ski's and have them redo the carbs and the fuel pump.

Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information