Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie with SL900 Project

So i am getting into the PWC craze. I was giving a non running sl900. I am currently rebuilding and repainting it. I hear if i got questions this is the place to ask. So far i got the motor in pieces just picked up my crank from sbt. Pistons are on order and jugs are at the machine shop waiting on the pistons. The ski ran prior to my cousins friend loosing the gas cap filling the tank with some salt water and then putting it on his lift and leaving it be for hurricane season with no gas cap. Got it out of the water dumped the gas and got it to restart briefly then it sat again for a few months and ended up locking up. Poured some oil in the plug holes, and what didnt come out the ports sat in the case for about 4 years untill i decided to bring it home and start working on it. Well i started about a month ago very slow process just my speed. But i am trying to get it done before mid july. I will post more pics this weekend when i get time. Dustin

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Nice! I'm sure one of the moderators will kindly move this over to the project section for you, so we can all follow your progress. Welcome to the Green Hulk. You have come to the right place.

+1
    Spun monkey, I'd like to say WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!
    She looks purty enough to warrant a fresh engine.
    Any questions just ask away, we LOVE projects and photo's.
    I'll move your post to the projects section, keep us informed of your progress!!

Yeah after i clicked post i realized i put it in the wrong forum. Well i snapped some photos and loaded up some other ones that were shot prior to the old lady taking the camera. I just flipped the ski upside down to start working on the bottom. Hopefully tomorrow when she goes to work i will have some time. Are all the SL the same hull kinda. Like more to the point will another models bumpers in a different color other than purple fit my 900. Looking for black or red. I am gonna try to dye mine to save some loot. Going for a black pearl bottom so far and am still undecided on the rest gonna have to do some photochopping to see what i like best. Maybe just leave it white or might go red and do black on the cowel. I dont know but i am loosing the purple. I sprayed the bars black may just throw a small pad on them and fiberglass a new housing for the display. Well here are some pics so far.

I figured since i have the ski gutted i would do something different. I went with a urethane primer (gray) then splattered some red base coat then put some House Of Kolor clear coat i had left over on the inside. I figured this will help with clean up a little bit. Or basically i am starting fresh nice and clean.

Here are the engine parts. I still got to replace some studs. I should have done it before i painted them but i wasnt thinking. Tomorrow i am gonna weld some nuts on the old studs to be removed and try to use the heat from welding to help break the studs loose. I dont really wanna use a torch on my nicely painted case.

Here is closer pics of the jug and caps. I went with etching primer then topcoated them with gloss black imron and then did the pipe, silencer, water rail and cyclinder heads with HOK galaxy gray and HOK UC-35 clear coat. Gives it a little different look than the black and red.

And last here is what the carbs are looking like so far. They are still bare i just bead blasted them to get the paint and corrosion off. I need to do some work on the outside of them but all in all they are pretty good. They barely stick but still have some media lodged in them.

+1
    Painter by trade? I like what you did to the interior of the hull, wish I'd of freshened mine up like that.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    The black and gray engine combo looks hot. You can buy a set of stud extractors pretty cheap. I think Sear may even have them in the crapsman line up.

Banned User
    Nice Job!
    Now I'm thinking I should get mine done while it's apart.

On fleebay right now, if you look hard Black hydro turf kit for 60$

nice paint job on the inside, you have inspired me to do the same. what type of paint is foat safe?

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    On fleebay right now, if you look hard Black hydro turf kit for 60$

nice paint job on the inside, you have inspired me to do the same. what type of paint is foat safe?
    Acrylic urethane is probably the best.
    It has the luster of laquer, the toughness of a true urethane, and is based on acrylic enamel.

I used PPG about 3 years ago to paint my boss's truck, and it still shines like a new penny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC210855.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	28831  

Not really i wanted my motorcycle painted pearl white years ago and got some 1500 and 2000 dollar quotes and thats how it all started. I have gotten better and better over time. I have been spraying for about 5 years. It all started with a 30 dollar home depot spray gun and go to attitude. Its easy to paint just making it durable and look good is the hard part. Prep is everything. I seen a engine bay on a 38 foot cigarette sprayed gray with black and red splatter and i thought it looked good. So after seeing how nasty the inside of my hull looked i went over to my shelf to see what paint i had left over. I like the red cause i am planning on keeping the red seat but wanted to go with galaxy gray on the engine so i can two tone the graphics with the same color. Plus i thought the red on the motor and red inside the hull would be to much. I ended up getting the studs out yesterday i need to take some pics. I end up doing stuff a little unorthodoxed you guys might get a kick out it. I will leave it at that til i post pics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information