Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ultra Valve Adjustment

I'm wondering how many Ultra owners (12F and 15F too !) know that a valve adjustment check is due every 100 hours of operation. If an adjustment is required, it is a involved process as it requires that the camshafts, chain tensioner, and lifters be removed to add the required shims. I would hate to see what the dealer will get for this service...or if they even know how to do it properly.

Richard

Just sold my Kawasaki ZX-14 , and the valve adj procedure looks very similiar to it. The manual for the 14 says check for 1st time at 15,000 miles, not even at the 600 mile check. I questioned them about that before I bought it, so I did know what I was in for. Nobody I know has reached that yet, haven't heard of any problems, although some are getting nervous if that is too long to wait. Same with our Suzuki C50 motorcycles, all owners on the forums say the dealers all refuse to do it at the required 600 mile check, saying they can listen and tell if they're ok !! I did my own, and I can see why they don't want to do it, 4-6 hrs, homemade feeler guages, and almost impossible to get accurate angles to check them. I was definitely ready for a few brewskies after that. That Ultra adj won't be any fun either, hopefully if the 14 can go that far, then the Ultras might check ok.

Checked on the Kaw 14 forum, one guy had his done at 20,000 miles, all were in spec, done by a dealer he has had, and trusted. A few others are closing in on 15,000 mi check, but nothing negative about valve problems,etc. Evidently Kaw is better at valves than exhaust hoses !!

+1
    In the bike world, the mileage between valve adjustments seems to be increasing. 16,000 for the new Suzuki Bandit 1250 and 24,000 for some of the Yammis. Is this due to better design or real world useage ? With a PWC, more frequent adjustments might be needed because they are usually run much harder than a street driven bike. But even if the ski averaged 50 mph for the full 100 hours that would only be equal to 5,000 miles....probably not enough to justify the valve adjustment. For those with extended warranties, the adjustment might be a must do to keep the warranty coverage.

Richard

Ive been checking mine often. You can actually check it without taking much apart.

This ones I choose to inspect I just lifted the tail of the cam up enough to get to the valve cap that I wanted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4170.JPG 
Views:	239 
Size:	585.9 KB 
ID:	28711  

+1
    Checking is a lot easier than the actual adjustment where you have to take things apart to add the shims.

Richard

Really, I wouldnt know.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    Really, I wouldnt know.
    That`s because your trying to adjust your valves through the tailpipe.....

Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    In the bike world, the mileage between valve adjustments seems to be increasing. 16,000 for the new Suzuki Bandit 1250 and 24,000 for some of the Yammis. Is this due to better design or real world useage ? With a PWC, more frequent adjustments might be needed because they are usually run much harder than a street driven bike.

If the 250X engine design matches that of the high-revving waverunner FX MR1 engines, then we wouldn't have much to worry about valve clearance adjustments..

There have been posts about an Australian tour operator with a couple of FX 140s with more than 1500 hours of running time. Valve clearance check every 200 hours and have not needed any re-shimming..

+1
    Just a thought, but perhaps some of the Ultras have valves that were set too tight at the factory, accounting for the performance differences between machines. ???

Richard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information