trim motor not working

My trim motor will not work when I hit the button. Is there any way to test the motor with a battery or a meter to see if the motor still works or if it is an issue with the switch?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Often the plastic gears inside break. But you can put 12V to the wires directly and it should work. Reverse the polarity, and it should work the opposite direction.

Can you buy just the gears or do you need to buy the whole gear box. I looked on partsland it showed it as one unit.

01 slx
    Thanks

+1
    Pull the whole motor assembly and take it apart. It may just be in need of some careful cleaning.

+1
    scott, I'd first check power and ground to the motor assembly (blue/white and green/white).
    You have a 95 SL750 so I'd place a test light on the power and ground leads to the motor and see if they light up when you operate the trim button.
    Be sure the meter is in place, start the engine and then operate the trim button both directions. If the test light shows power/ground you know the problem is at the motor side of things.
    If it doesn't light up you need to check
    For power supply from the LR23 to the switch (orange wire) it will only have power when the engine is running.
    Ground to the switch
    And then of course check the switch.

Need the gears. can you buy them or do you need to buy the whole assem.?

Thanks

Mine was doing the same thing and it ended up being the actual motor in the trim box. IT had corosion inside of the motor so instead of buying a new one which you can probably do, I hooked the output up to a drill and put a little 3:1 oil in it and spun it both ways really fast. Took it off and it worked great after that. That may not be the correct way but hey it doesnt hurt if it doesnt work. Good luck.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I know you can buy just the motor, not sure about the gears. Try PM Jay at Atlantic, he'd be the one that can tell you.

Smile

I finally got around to pulling the trim motor. there was so much corrosion on it after sitting for so long that the motor couldnt break free. I pulled all the gears and sprayed the shaft of the motor with penetrating lube and worked it till the shaft spun freely. hooked up the power and it worked again. I then cleaned up all the gears, re-lubed them with grease and reassembeled and installed. works like new now. also the gears inside were metal not plastic as stated in a previous post.

Thread Information