Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 Virage TX Phantom Electrical

Symptom: Occassionally display will not wake-up and the unit then Rev limits and backfires. Waking the display by disconnecting the harness wakes it up and it runs fine. Except the battery is not charging.

Checked the Stator and it reads 106 ohms and triggers on all three (red. green and blue) wires. The service manual says the actual reading is not important but also states it should be below 25 ohms. (tested with a Beckman DM23 digital meter)

Tested the unregulated AC voltage and it reads 18.5 volts and other times when I start it only 10.8 volts. Should be above 20 volts at 3000 RPM. Voltage at the battery indicates there is no DC charging.

Does this sound like the Stator is bad since the unregulated voltage is not consistant? Do you have to pull the motor to change out the stator?

PS: the spark plugs were non-resistor when I bought it and I've since changed them out to the correct plugs. As far as I know, the battery was never charged in the ski with the teminals still connected. Beautiful weather and I really like to be out riding. Too bad nobody works on these in my area anymore. Thanks, Scott

The 2000 Virage TX LR-505 voltage regulators were junk...I just replaced mine, in fact w/ only 60hrs on the boat. Mine was charging the battery at over 15v. Could be a problem with your stator, but I wouldnt rule out that regulator either.

I'm sure the Voltage Regulator is alot cheaper and I know easier to change than the Stator. Maybe I'll start there and work backwards.

The regulator is about $130!, but could quite possibly be the culprit, especially since you have a fairly new stator.

Solved

Thanks for all your suggestions. It was the regulator and the Stator. It took the Polaris dealer 8 weeks to repair it and I had to almost beg them to work on it. The minute I said electrical problem it was a different story. $ 600 bones later I'm ready to sell.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

PIPES

Too Bad I'd Love To Sell You A Set Of Pipes And Turn That Ski Into A 68 Mph Reliable Beast.not Only Have Some Fun With The Rxp GuyS But That Ski Is An Absolute Blast Like That.i Love Mine And Would Sell Off The Pro Before The Virage

Angry Blown Up

Well I got the ski back from the dealer and had a whole 20 minutes of fun before the #1 piston gave out. It was running fine and then just died after a run at full throttle. It started back up but only limped home.

The machine has 130 hours on the stock engine and the other 2 cylinders have 124 compression reading. I haven't pulled it out of the lake yet to inspect the actual damage, but it definitely is cooked. I've heard you can change just the one cylinder and piston on these if the debris did not end up in the bottom half contaminating the crank bearings. Is this correct? Anyone have the replacement parts?

+1
    WOW What a terrible tale.....
    I think I'd want to know what killed it before putting it back together.
    Any recent carb work?
    Have you checked the internal filters?
    Any idea where the timing wound up after they installed the stator?
    I'm sure plenty here have the parts you need.

Quote Originally Posted by GarageDetailer View Post
    I've heard you can change just the one cylinder and piston on these if the debris did not end up in the bottom half contaminating the crank bearings. Is this correct?
    Yes, although some will argue that it's not a good idea, it has been done many times with no problems. Getting the debris out of the crank case, as you mentioned, is the key.

Carbs were rebuilt 2 seasons ago. I don't know about the internal filters but I will check them when I dig in (Where are they?). Last season before the stator and voltage reg went out, the ski bogged out and died after a long hard run but then start back up and ran ok. This was probably a symptom of the current problem brewing.

Could it just be the the hours catching up on the motor and not some underlying problem?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information