Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Norris Lake

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1

Norris Lake

Anybody up for a Norris Lake ride sometime after July 4th?

+1
    This may be a bit off topic, but I'm getting tired of living in FL and started to look at lakefront property in TN. Norris Lake is one of the places I checked out on the puter. Also Chickamunga Lk , Watts Bar and Cherokee. I want a lake where you can have a private boat dock and one with clear water if possible and not that far from a town with places to shop. I have never been to TN so any advice a local could provide would be a great help.

thanks,
    Richard

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    Anybody up for a Norris Lake ride sometime after July 4th?
    I could be in for a Norris ride. That is kinda my third local lake. I plan on taking the whole week of the 4th week off from work. Let me know which day you wher thinking as the 6th, I already have planned.

-BT

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2fast View Post
    This may be a bit off topic, but I'm getting tired of living in FL and started to look at lakefront property in TN. Norris Lake is one of the places I checked out on the puter. Also Chickamunga Lk , Watts Bar and Cherokee. I want a lake where you can have a private boat dock and one with clear water if possible and not that far from a town with places to shop. I have never been to TN so any advice a local could provide would be a great help.

thanks,
    Richard
    Bring LOTS of money. House sales are down most parts to the country except on the water here in TN & NC. They is a lot of people from up north plus people from FL wanting to be on the water. It has pushed the prices on lake properity thru the roof. Developers are having to pay so much for land now, they can not afford to just build homes on it. Most are bulding condo's. That way they can put 100+ condo's on the same area that you could only build say 25 homes. But these condo's go for $350,000 and UP! And are nothing more than town houses with lake view and boat slip. I saw in the paper where a piece of lake properity(ft. loudon lake) in Knoxville sold for 1 million, and that was .87 acres, 200 ft shore line. Just land.

BT, where in East Tn are you from?

Jay

+1
    From what I had seen on the computer, in TN $450,000 will buy a decent house on a lake. Here in FL oceanfront lots (the bottom of the barrel ones...the good ones sold out years ago) all go for well over a million. Riverfront costs even more. They are asking $509,000 for the lot next to me, 3/4 acre and not even waterview unless you built a lookout tower on it ! If, and it's a BIG "if," anyone gets what they are asking here in FL you could purchase a mansion for that amount in TN. I think the bubble only has a slow leak in it and the market is going to take a BIG tumble and get back to reality sooner rather than later. That goes for all areas of the country where prices have skyrocketed beyond reason. Some condo developers here in FL have gone belly up before completing the units. The poor suckers who thought they were buying at a low pre construction price got tha shaft and lost all their $$..

Richard

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05RXPnoob View Post
    BT, where in East Tn are you from?

Jay

30 minutes south of Knoxville. Come ride with us Jay!

+1
    From what I had seen on the computer, in TN $450,000 will buy a decent house on a lake. Here in FL oceanfront lots (the bottom of the barrel ones...the good ones sold out years ago) all go for well over a million. Riverfront costs even more. They are asking $509,000 for the lot next to me, 3/4 acre and not even waterview unless you built a lookout tower on it ! If, and it's a BIG "if," anyone gets what they are asking here in FL you could purchase a mansion for that amount in TN. I think the bubble only has a slow leak in it and the market is going to take a BIG tumble and get back to reality sooner rather than later. That goes for all areas of the country where prices have skyrocketed beyond reason. Some condo developers here in FL have gone belly up before completing the units. The poor suckers who thought they were buying at a low pre construction price got tha shaft and lost all their $$..

Richard
    Water front on Norris lake? $450,000 yea, but your probably 45 minute drive from the closest store.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    Water front on Norris lake? $450,000 yea, but your probably 45 minute drive from the closest store.
    I really don't know which lakes are considered the "better" ones in eastern TN. I was looking at houses for sale on Norris and found one listed there, but it was actually on Cherokee in a development called Mallard Baye about 40 miles out of Knoxville. Do you know anything about this lake...good or bad? The house is 10 years old, 1 1/2 acres, dock, double garage, big work shop, and on a level lot with 150' wf. Listed for $449,900. Was on market for 2 1/2 months and dropped price $50K to the $449,900. MLN 548567. I called the realtor and it has a contract on it to hold it until July 16th. Buyer would have to sell his house before he can close on this one. They asked me if I wanted to sign a back up contract on it. I'd hate to go look at the house and then find the first buyer closed on it so I couldn't purchase it even if I liked it. I told the realtor I'd go to back up contract contingent on having 2 weeks to check out the house after July 16 to see if I want it.

What's your opinion on Cherokee Lk ??

Richard

+1
    I really don't know which lakes are considered the "better" ones in eastern TN. I was looking at houses for sale on Norris and found one listed there, but it was actually on Cherokee in a development called Mallard Baye about 40 miles out of Knoxville. Do you know anything about this lake...good or bad? The house is 10 years old, 1 1/2 acres, dock, double garage, big work shop, and on a level lot with 150' wf. Listed for $449,900. Was on market for 2 1/2 months and dropped price $50K to the $449,900. MLN 548567. I called the realtor and it has a contract on it to hold it until July 16th. Buyer would have to sell his house before he can close on this one. They asked me if I wanted to sign a back up contract on it. I'd hate to go look at the house and then find the first buyer closed on it so I couldn't purchase it even if I liked it. I told the realtor I'd go to back up contract contingent on having 2 weeks to check out the house after July 16 to see if I want it.

What's your opinion on Cherokee Lk ??

Richard
    Cherokee is a nice clean lake, but not quite a pretty as Norris. Yes, Cherokee would be much more affordable also. I would feel like a lucky man with a house even on Cherokee. The main town would be Morristown. Nice but small. You would probably be traveling 45-60minutes to Knoxville to do any real shopping. The only other bad part to Cherokee is it is a TVA dammed lake, and they drop the bottom out of it in the winter. If you are not on main channel water you might be looking at mud it the winter?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information