your experience with intake grate,ride plate and max rpm.

Thanks again for all the great advice here. I have a few general questions. I have a 95 sl750 which the only mod so far is the Ocean Pro vortex flame arrestors.
    1. my max rpm is about 6050. Does that sound about right? I am pretty happy with the performance but I am not the original owner so I need a point of reference.
    2. what does an aftermarket intake grate do for me? It looks like a fairly easy bolt on upgrade and I want to know if its worth it.
    3. What does a performance ride plate get me?
    I would love to hear about any of your experiences on these subjects.
    Thanks
    john

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnt365 View Post
    Thanks again for all the great advice here. I have a few general questions. I have a 95 sl750 which the only mod so far is the Ocean Pro vortex flame arrestors.
    1. my max rpm is about 6050. Does that sound about right? I am pretty happy with the performance but I am not the original owner so I need a point of reference.
    2. The "normal" operating range is 6200 RPM give or take 100, you're pretty close and my guess is you might have some impeller/housing wear?
    3. what does an aftermarket intake grate do for me? It looks like a fairly easy bolt on upgrade and I want to know if its worth it.
    4. Better rough water hook up as it keeps the pump loaded with more water faster.
    5. What does a performance ride plate get me?
    6. Depends on if you purchase a speed plate or handling plate.
    7. A speed plate of course will give you a slightly better top end but you will sacrifice speed in the ugly water and of course induce proposing.
    8. Handling plate will do just that, better carving and straight steering control BUT at the cost of some top speed.
    I would love to hear about any of your experiences on these subjects.

Thanks
    john
    Did you make any carb adjustments or plug chops after the OP install?

I did increase the fuel by about a full turn per carb appropriatly. I will admit I should have taken better notes.

I will search the archives on the subject of plug chops. Its just a big unknown with me though. I see it recomended all the time. I know the premis is to start the motor and nail it for about 100 yards or so and then kill it. coast back and rem the plugs to read them. So my questions are...
    1. do you let it warm up to operating temp or just start it and nail it?

2. how long do you run it?

3. what am i looking for on the plug data?

this subject deserves a sticky if its not already.

Thanks again for all the help.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome John. ALWAYS let your engine warm up, there is an issue called cold seizure if you do not. (BAD) You take a WOT run approx 100 yds or so, and pull the lanyard (killing engine) while still holding the throttle open all the way. Remove the plugs and inspect for proper burning. Each cylinder will be different, so don't adjust all 3 the same. Wet is too rich (turn the top brass screw (high) IN 1/8 at a time) Light brown is ideal plug burn. Black dry soot is lean. (turn top brass screw (high) OUT 1/8 turn at a time. White is extremely lean and should turn the high screw OUT 1/4 at a time. If you run out of adjustment, you may need to go to the next size larger main jet. If you turn the screw all the way in, you will need to go to the next smaller size main jet.

Thread Information