Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Attended Kawasaki Sponsored Focus Group

Interesting session. 5 guys in session (all Ultra 250 owners) run by 3rd party mkt research firm. Not a lot of feedback or knowledge from factory.
    They were mainly interested in buying motivation and what we would want in the next model. They had a designer type from Kawa who was looking for styling, graphics and look preferences.

So I chimed in for an integrated GPS and a flat panel display that would show engine mgt, performance and navigation. Others were pushing for 300+ HP even though the moderator clearly said the current deal with the Coast Guard is 65mph +- 2 mph and no mfg is ever going to change that for stock units. So the extra HP would only be for acceleration. Hell, I can't hang on now let alone with more HP!

The moderator acknowledged knowing of the Green Hulk forum, but he went into Federal Witness protection mode and wouldn't say anything else.

2 of the guys are on this forum and the others couldn't wait to sign on when they learned what goes on here.

Tom I sure would like to know what kind of horse power our ski's are putting out. They advertise 250 hp at 7750 rpm's. How many people are getting that kind of rpm's? They also raised the redline to 8900, I don't understand why this was even done.

Do we have an ultra 250 or is it more like a ultra 215? For the life of me I don't understand why they advertise something that is truly not the case.
    This sounds to me like a case of false advertising. I am sure that their production skis that were tested were putting out 250 hp. But I would venture to say that if over 90% of the ones on the market were tested they would not be putting out 250hp.

Sorry for the rambling Tom, I just have a lot of questions that I wish Kawaskai would address, truly the dealers are not qualified to answer the questions.

+1

Dyno anyone?

Seems like some of the tuners on here would have dyno'ed it
    by now! Any reports?
    I know that Skip takes the motor out of his ski every night and
    sleeps with it.........maybe he knows!

over.....

BTW - the hp is one measure, torgue at the prop is another.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rhorne1053 View Post
    Tom I sure would like to know what kind of horse power our ski's are putting out. They advertise 250 hp at 7750 rpm's. How many people are getting that kind of rpm's? They also raised the redline to 8900, I don't understand why this was even done.

Do we have an ultra 250 or is it more like a ultra 215? For the life of me I don't understand why they advertise something that is truly not the case.
    This sounds to me like a case of false advertising. I am sure that their production skis that were tested were putting out 250 hp. But I would venture to say that if over 90% of the ones on the market were tested they would not be putting out 250hp.

Sorry for the rambling Tom, I just have a lot of questions that I wish Kawaskai would address, truly the dealers are not qualified to answer the questions.
    I have hit 7820 RPM`s on a regular basis.
    And the claimed BHP would be at the crank as with all advertised ratings.

FZS-T
    well i was one of the 5 guys that attended to this focus group and i didnt really get what i was expecting!!! it was more focused on the new model's style and looks.....ohh well i thought this meeting was going to be more focused on feedback regarding current issues and positive things about the ski!

i still think we need more than 250hp in the future model! and more accurate numbers! than what we have now!

it sucks that the government is stepping in and limiting pwc . it would be nice if the sport could keep progressing and in the near future i could walk into a dealer and buy a 100 mph 3 seater

with so many problems in this country it is ridiculous that they govern good clean fun like riding a pwc

Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    Seems like some of the tuners on here would have dyno'ed it
    by now! Any reports?
    I know that Skip takes the motor out of his ski every night and
    sleeps with it.........maybe he knows!

over.....

BTW - the hp is one measure, torgue at the prop is another.

WTF

I'm getting real sick of this place.

Sorry I don't have a 25K Dyno for ya. Even Riva wont Dyno this machine. It takes alot to jig this motor for dyno use.

I dont sleep with my motor either you wise guy, just the service manual.

FZS-T
    i couldnt agree more with that

Been around for years...seen it all Kawi-Guy's Avatar
    +1
    Tom,
    Did you go over the fuel consumption with him?
    What about a smaller Hull option?
    Sounds like you had a majority of real newbies on the panel other than yourself.
    A fuel cosumption meter would really help to get to that cruising sweet spot............
    We don't need a bigger engine or more HP, we just need less weight and more speed out of this one.

FZS-T
    like tom said they didnt have much knowledge of the actual pwc they were just trying to get new ideas for upcoming models

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information