Polaris SLT 750 X Problems!

Just bought a 94 SLT 750x and i am new to PWC's so i could use some help. The problem i am having is that when the watercraft is put into the water the engine bogs down and won't run over 2300 rpms or so. Out of the water the engine seems to run fine, it tacks up to over 6k and everything seems to be working well. I changed the spark plugs, cleaned the carb, and made sure there were no blocked tubes but it still bogs down just in the water and i am out of ideas, i was going to do a compression check on the engine but can't seem to find what the compression should be at, if anyone has any ideas whats going on i would greatly appreciate the help, thanks

+1
    craze, WELCOME to the GREEN HULK Forums!!
    I'd check for a lean running condition. I just had one, where the boat revved great out of the water but it would bog and poor RPM's in the water.
    It wound up being plugged filters in the carbs. You don't have Keihins but I'm pretty sure you have a blockage withing your fuel system.
    I'd replace the fuel pump (I prefer the triple outlet like the 780 uses).
    Replace ALL of the fuel lines, including those in the tank if applicable.
    Replace the crappy fuel selector switch.
    Replace the fuel pulse line.
    I'd pull the carbs and make sure they are free of foreign materials.

All of this of course after I verified I still have the problem with fresh gas in the boat.
    Let us know how you make out.

Welcome to the HULK.... I would start with compression check. Just post your #'s here and we can tell you if they are good or not.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk. Compression test first, and then SERIOUSLY consider what Ph20 said. It just seems to prevent alot of issues with the skis being so old now. The preventative maintainence is ALOT cheaper than ruining a piston (maybe a cylinder too) and still needing to do everything mentioned above.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    The preventative maintainence is ALOT cheaper than ruining a piston (maybe a cylinder too) and still needing to do everything mentioned above.

And MUCH cheaper than ruining three pistons, Ask me how I know.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. i replaced all the fuel lines with new ones, and i am going to do a compression test on it tomorrow. It is still bogging down though, even with the new fuel lines. i am starting to wonder if it is getting oil though so i bought a block off kit and am going to start putting mixed fuel in it, i believe it is 50:1 but if that is not correct and someone knows what it shoud be i would love to know. In the process of changing the fuel lines i noticed that whoever had worked on it before me had some of the fuel lines run wrong, i picked up a service manual for it so i had the diagram to run them correctly, i have no idea how it was even running the way they had it set up but once i ran them correctly the motor is now turning around 3500 rpms in the water, if anyone has any other ideas i would love to know them, thanks again. oh one more thing about the fuel switch, can i bypass it all togeather or is there a need for it?

+1
    You can by-pass the valve for testing but it's a poor idea to leave it disconnected as you may wind up with a hydro-locked engine due to fuel entering the cylinders.
    50:1 may not be enough oil, the factory mixture is closer to 40:1, I wouldn't risk going with less oil than that.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Did you reinstall the fuel restrictor in the return line? It was located 3/4" away from the carbs. Have you rebuilt or possibly replaced the fuel pump?

Thread Information