Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Unhappy 95' SL750: No spark!

First off, thanks to everyone here who gave me advice on my stator problems. I had it back together on Saturday morning and it ran perfectly.

Well okay perfectly for about 20 minutes.

I took it out for a slow test run, after warming it up took it to max RPMs a few times and then came in to give my daughter a ride. Shut it off and then it wouldn't start again. It would turn over but not start. Thought maybe I had flooded it so I let it sit for and hour or so but still no luck. Pulled it out of the water and couldn't check it again till today.

Started with the plugs and found no spark on any of the three plugs. Before I had everything together on Saturday I checked the spark on the plugs and it was there but they did seem weak. Cracked the electrical box and checked the kill switch and it was okay. Checked the B to B/W resistance on the coils and all three were close to spec. Checked the spark plug wire to B/W (or was it B – I'm going from memory here) and they checked out okay except for the middle one which showed infinite ohms. I pulled the wire out of the coils (was that a mistake?) and checked the coil itself directly and it was fine and I also checked the spark plug wire and it read as fine. So I'm guessing that the connection was just flakey on the middle coil. That was as far as I was able to get today, but that one flakey connection between the coil and spark plug shouldn't prevent sparks on all of the plugs should it?

I'm also wondering now if it was a mistake to pull the spark plug wire out of the coil. I looks like it was sealed in there with some sort of adhesive. Is there any secret here to getting back in properly?

Unless anyone has any ideas I'm thinking it's the CDI, which I'll check next weekend.

Another thing that didn't come back when it was working on Saturday was the MFD. It was completely blank. Could this also point to a problem with the CDI?

And one last thing. The fuse in the electrical box... how can I check if it is blown and/or is the problem with my spark or MFD? I've never seen one that looks like this one before. It looks like it has a strip of material on it that has a slot out of it. This strip is it what breaks when the fuse goes or was there a wire in that slot that is now no longer present?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm still pretty new to what's going on under my seat.

+1
    Check the 15 amp circuit breaker on top of the box, it powers the MFD and stator. Maybe install a jumper just to verify??
    You'll also need to replace the coil pack or send it to Jet Ski Solutions for repair.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Check the stator with the ohmeter again to verify the new one didn't go bad. The plug wires are glued into the coils, not sure what adhesive is used. There is no way to check a CDI, just replace it with a known good one, or eliminate all other parts as being bad. The fuse for the MFD is not related to spark. The metal inner would be burnt or cracked if bad. Take an ohmeter to the fuse and see what the reading is, no reading wouild be a bad fuse. Check all connections inside the elec. box (is water present?) and check the engine ground for a good connection.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Check the 15 amp circuit breaker on top of the box, it powers the MFD and stator. Maybe install a jumper just to verify??
    You'll also need to replace the coil pack or send it to Jet Ski Solutions for repair.
    Yeah, I'll check that breaker this weekend.

so are you saying I need a new coil pack or have it repaired because I pulled the high tension spark plug lead out of the coil? I hope not because it just looks like it presses in. I igure with a little dielectric grease on the inner pin and a bit of epoxy on the outer part of that cable as I push it in and I should be okay, no?

If you pulled the plug wire out of the coil? it is not toast but you probably stumbled on to your problem by luck! There are vendors that will replace those for u or you can get some used ones of off ebay. You can also unscrew the spark plug boot end and trim a little wire off then reassemble and re zip tie to fix any corrosion issues at that end !Z

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Check the stator with the ohmeter again to verify the new one didn't go bad. The plug wires are glued into the coils, not sure what adhesive is used. There is no way to check a CDI, just replace it with a known good one, or eliminate all other parts as being bad. The fuse for the MFD is not related to spark. The metal inner would be burnt or cracked if bad. Take an ohmeter to the fuse and see what the reading is, no reading wouild be a bad fuse. Check all connections inside the elec. box (is water present?) and check the engine ground for a good connection.

The stator that is in there was the older one which I just fixed the fried ground wire on when I fried it. A couple of the other wires needed replacing too but I replaced them all with one gauge size larger of wire. The stator and wiring all checked out (resistance specs and continuity) prior to installing it so I really hope it's not that since I did have it running for 20 to 30 minutes. I'll check it this weekend and I'll check the engine ground as well.

I was really hoping it was going to be something simple. I don't want to pull the engine again to get the stator off to replace it.

But I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    If you pulled the plug wire out of the coil? it is not toast but you probably stumbled on to your problem by luck! There are vendors that will replace those for u or you can get some used ones of off ebay. You can also unscrew the spark plug boot end and trim a little wire off then reassemble and re zip tie to fix any corrosion issues at that end !Z
    Z, are you saying I shouldn't have pulled that plug wire out of the coil?!?!

Can't I just push it back in?

That one bad plug wire (or was it the connection to the coil) wouldn't prevent sparks on the other coils/plugs would it? When I initially tested that coil/cable I was getting infinite resistance (no continuity) between the black wire and the end of the spark-plug wire no matter how much or far I jammed my meter probe into the end of the plug wire.

+1
    You shouldn't have pulled it out of the coil, but you can try epoxying it back? Just test the resistance after it's dry to verify it will work. It may prevent all plugs from sparking if it's the first coil and they are all run in series? (guessing) You can ohmeter the stator from the elec box connections for a quick check, since you fixed a burnt stator, I would start there first.

+1
    Okay, I was able to check take some readings yesterday...

1. Circuit breaker was fine: closed with 0 resistance.

2. Fuse was gone.

3. Stator was all fine except ignition trigger coil (W/Y to B wires) read close to 0 resistance not the 220 ohms I was expecting. So something has gone bad here. Checked 5 to 15 times before I relegated myself to pulling the engine again to remove the stator. Still close to 0 ohms. So...

4. Pulled the engine to remove the stator (I'm getting good at it). Got the stator out and then double-checked the resistance on that ignition trigger coil again and I got 220 ohms as I should have with the engine installed!

The black wire is, I'm assuming "ground" because I'm also getting 0 resistance between the black wire and the metal stator plate and 220 ohms between the stator plate and the W/Y wire. Is this what I should be seeing? It doesn't seem right that the plate should should go to ground AND there also be a ground wire going back to the box. But I'm very far from and electrical engineer here!

If not, it sounds to me like there is a short somewhere. Should I just chuck this stator now and buy a working one?

+1
    Post #6 has the values. I would have another stator for back up just in case you have a failure. P.S. ALWAYS mark the stator timing so you can put it right back where it was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information