Talking Should my 94 Raider feel fast/unstable?

This is my first post here and I would like to thank ya'll thus far for the info that I've already read all over this section. Its good to have such a place.

So here's the story on my ski: About 3 years ago my aunt asked me if I wanted her 94 WaveRaider RA700 that she said she never rode. She didnt know what kinda shape it was in, other than the fact that it had hardly any hours on it. She got it new in 95 and said she might have put 5 hours on the thing and it had been sitting inside a storage place since. I of coarse took her up on the offer and brought it home where it sat in my garage till last summer. Its basically a brand new 94, looks PERFECT. Last summer I put new tires on the trailer, got a new battery, sprayed some WD40 in the cylinders, turned it over a few times, then put fresh plugs, gas, and oil in it and got it to fire up after about 5 minutes of cranking. I put it on the water once last summer just for alittle while, basically just enough to know that it runs and was worth registering. Then it sat behind a shed until the other day.

So the other day I got it out, put fresh gas and oil in it, cleaned the plugs, and hooked up a jumper box to it confident the battery would be dead(I should have taken it out last summer, stupid me). Well I didnt even have to turn the jumper box on, just cranked at it for about 2 minutes and it fired right up. The only problem with the whole ordeal was that I got stung by a wasp on my hand the instant I hit the starter, it flew out of the mirror. So I pulled the ride plate off and cleaned out what I can only assume was a squirl's nest, hosed everything off real good(especially inside that mirror) and went and registered the thing. Got my temporary registration and was ready for the water.

So I get it to the lake. Let it warm up, putted around alittle bit just to make sure if I had to swim it wouldn't be too far, then said hell with it and got all over it. Here's where I'm alittle confused... THIS THING HAULS A$$!!!!!

I've ridden all sorts of PWC's my whole life. I started riding stand ups when I was about 8(now 26) and have been messing around with them on and off ever since. Through the process of riding them I've gotten to ride all sorts of random nice sit down models. For some reason everyone and their mother wants to try to ride my stand up... for 5 minutes! Then they're totally over it and want back on their $10,000 bass boat of a PWC. The cool part is that they let me ride theirs while they beat themeslves to death on mine. So I've ridden or should I say driven a bunch of fast stuff... Honda Turbo, SC'd SeaDoos, even got to drive my buddy's twin supercharged engine SeaDoo Wake Boat(REALLY FAST).

Here's my question... Should this thing feel so fast? I had a buddy of mine with me and he was also blown away by how fast it was. I know I've ridden a bunch of fast stuff. I've got a pretty good butt dyno, I build race cars for a living and my daily driver has over 800hp... This thing really feels super strong. It seems to have decent get up and go from a dead dig, but it really feels like it flies on the top end. Its only got a tach so I have no idea how fast I'm actually going(not that it'd be very accurate anyway).

Another thing about it, it doesnt handle ANYTHING like the newer sit down's that I've ridden. Most of them wont throw you off the back if you try, but I'm used to riding stand ups. This Raider feels alot more like a stand up. You've gotta use your body to steer it. I even managed to send myself into the water by accident! Is it supposed to be like this? I cant imagine sending out some random person in this thing, they'd get hurt!!!

So should I be worried about anything on such an old craft? I know everything feels the fastest right before it blows up...

This post is getting alittle long, I'll make another one soon about things I need to make sure are lubed/checked.

Again, thanks to all in this section!

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome MAyo!

You found a great place for Raider info. It is a fast(for it's time) ski, should do about 55 on gps. It feels allot faster because it has a really, um, well, unique hull. A "pissed off paper plate" if you will. It will toss you when you least expect it, but that's what keeps things interesting. There should be 2 grease fittings hanging off the head, 1 front, 1 rear. one is for the Bendix and the other for the intermediate housing. I would go through the carbs and rebuild them soon, especially since it was sitting for so long.

Where are you from?

yeah, I have a 94 raider and it's just like yours. It's my first/only jet ski and spend a lot of time waiting for that exact year/model to come up for sale because it sounded like the most fun in my budget.

I had only ridden an 89 wave runner 500 and when I took the raider out for a test drive before buying I just let it warm up and then punched it and really nervous going fast.

Once I took it home and rode it a few times I'm used to it and can lean in and turn on a dime or go top speed all day long and be fine.

Cool, yea I thought something must be up with the hull design. I love how it feels. Its alot more like a stand up. My only complaint is that it tends to suck air real easy. Does an intake grate make a whole bunch of difference on these? Also, are there any free mods for the mechanically inclined that are worth doing?

I'm from Nashville, TN.

Here's a picture of it. I swear the thing looks brand new.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supra build 042.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	379.1 KB 
ID:	29305  
    Last edited by Mayo; 06-26-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: question

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    R&D aquavein grate is the best all around, imo. Much better hookup in chop and I actually saw an increase in top end speed on smooth water with it.

I just got a Riva "bi-loader" for mine off ebay and will let you know how it does when it comes.

Thread Information