Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

"HOW TO" Umi Steering Install

Ok, I typed out an entire "how to" once already, to help everyone with this install, and when I went to submit it, I lost it all!!! So I'm going to try this again, Its been a few weeks, So If I leave anything out please feel free to ask questions.

USE BLUE LOCTITE ON ALL CONNECTIONS THAT ARE METAL TO METAL

Use the UMI directions in conjunction with these words of wisdom and beautiful picutures!

1.)First thing is to remove the stock stearing. I removed all the stuff off the bars first.

2.)Then Unbolt the nut holding the stock air tube in under the storage box. You cant reinstall the tube the umi system will be in the way.

3.)Next Disconect the stock stearing cable from the stock stearing housing brackets. Its a total of 3 bolts. 2 on the bracket, then one that holds the rod end to the pivit arm.

Last edited by CarFanatic; 06-25-2007 at 10:29 PM.

+1
    4.) Next disconect the 2 electrical connecters

5.)Pull out the rubber gromet that the wires go through, you can then feed the wires up through the rubber gromet.

6.)You can now remove the harness and electronics togeather, unscrew the beeper, and kill switch and set aside.

7.)Unbolt the 4 bolts holding the bars on, and remove the stock stearing unit as one.

8.)Next remove the strike post from the stock stearing, you will need to use it on the new mount.

+1
    9.)Ok now you must clearence the opening to fit the new umi system in. This is really easy. The front edge of the hole needs filed at and angle to clear. I used my dremel with a sanding bit. You can see in these pics how it needs to be filed.

You need to file the under side at like a 45 degree angle

Here is what it looks like after its filed

Underneith looking up once the system fits in.

10.)Next you want to connect the stock stearing cable to the new bracket before you screw the system down. You use the stock piece and ones in the umi kit.

You will have to pull the stearing cable up over the top of the motor in order to get it to bolt down. ITs kinda tricky just work at it you will get it!

+1
    11.You can now bolt down the system, its trickey to get in with the cable bolted to it, but it just takes some work. If your stock gasket is torn up, then apply silicone around the mounting plate. I used the stock gaskit.

12.)Next mount the strike post to the plate, and adjust to the hood closes tight and straight.

13.)Next slide top half of the system into the base mount, and mount the stearing arm on to the bottom of the system with washer and lock nut.

14.)Next Remove the stock stearing rod end, and replace with the new one. There are 2 in the kit, but only one fits the cable. Then connect The rod end to the stearing arm. There are 3 holes, when you get it all togeather you can go back and adjust which setting you want to use.
    Last edited by CarFanatic; 06-25-2007 at 07:10 PM.

+1
    15.)Now reinstall the rubber gaskit, and run the wires back through. Mount the factory lanyard switch to the bracket on the mounting plate and tighten the plastic ring.

16.)Then mount the warning beeper, upside down and use the plastic ring provided in the kit to screw it down. It screws down from underneith

17.) Next mount the bars, and slide the umi vts/on/off housing on.

18.) Then mount whatever grips and finger throttle you used and adjust! I had to adjust the trottle cable at the tb alittle to achieve full closed throttle.

+1
    19.)Finnaly the worst part of all. Adjusting the stearing cable. I had to twist the crap out of mine to get everything to center up. If I remeber correctly it was all twisting to the right. Here is a link on how to adjust the stearing
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=807
    YOU DONT HAVE TO LOSEN THE BOLTS!!! JUST TWIST THE NUT!

20.) Zip tie everything up! and Enjoy!

If I forgot anything please added it, feel free to ask any questions, I will try to awnser to my best abilities! Hope this helps!

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    good write up.... what are the chances of you having that OEM rxp steering still..... i have an idea for something for the ultra's steering and it looks like that bar mount might do what i need it to do

+1
    Ya I got the whole system

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    how much ya want for it

+1
    pm me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information