Washing engine compartment?

I have a 2006 RXP and I was wondering if you can rinse off the engine compartment. I am gettting some salt buildup on the engine block and I would like to get it off. Is there a product that works best to clean the engine compartment?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    yes, absolutely rinse down the engine in salt water useage. don't blast it, but let water gently fow over everything... yes everything can get wet.

after you are done, it's important to leave the seats off and let it air dry... if possible always store the machine with the seats off, it wont trap the moisture

try Salt-away... or Salt Terminator... great products.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    rinse it EVERY time you ride in salt!

edit: where do you ride?

+1
    I wash it with a light amount of soapy water sprayed on then wipe it all down with a rag. After I do this I rinse with water lightly, then I Dry it out with a Leaf Blower or my shop vac to get all of the water out for sure. After Its dry I spray it down with WD 40 I add this every other time I wash.. Hope this helps I ride in saltwater too and its a pain to open the engine up and see all that crud..

Adrian

+1
    Opps posted twice..

Thanks for all the info

I usually ride on the Alafia River or in the Bay near Beer Can Island. I have only had it for about a week so I am sure I will be riding it many more places.

Some tips:
    Spray the engine with wd40 JUST before you ride in the salt. When the salt water hits the engine, the WD40 just washes away leaving things MUCH cleaner after a ride. All those white deposits are minimised.

Also, make sure you grease you plug caps well to make a good seal with the cylinder head. I have known water ingress due to rinsing in this area to cause corrosion of the Caps. This happened to us once but, since greasing the caps, no more problems.

After rinsing, we use bom. lube before putting the ski away. (Don't use WD40 at this time since it is gonig to stay on the Ski and I have heard it can degrade the (expensive) rubber based components in the engine bay).

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

Washing Engine

I have an 06 Sportster Jet-Boat with the 4-tec and I ride in salt water so after I wash the boat I allways mist my engine/compartment with fresh water and then I dry it off with an absorber shammy then the next day when it all air dryed good I spray just the metal parts and engine block with a (light) coating of Bombardier Lube. I even spray a little bombardier lube inside my jet pump onto the prop front and back and a little on the drive shaft. I don't like spraying the bombardier lube onto the hoses so to protect the metal hose clamps I coat them with a smear of clear dieletric grease. The dieletric grease will keep the salt water and salt air of the metal and it last really long.
    Make sure to lube your throttle cable also, I use TC-11 that comes in a little syringe looking aplicator and I squirt some up into the throttle cabe casing thats located on your throttle body then work the throttle cable back and forth.Here is a pic of the TC-11 it's great stuff also comes in a spray can.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

some people that were at ship bottom and ride the salt water suggested Simple green for the engine. They spray it all over and gentle hose down. I haven't tried it, just passing it along

Thread Information