Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RXT MODS

RXT MODS

what would i do as far as mods to get more speed on my 2005 RXT. I don't see what mods are worth the cost when i may only gain 1-2 mph without spending a fortune

Re: RXT MODS

Quote Originally Posted by wavehummer
    what would i do as far as mods to get more speed on my 2005 RXT. I don't see what mods are worth the cost when i may only gain 1-2 mph without spending a fortune
    thats what i said in the begining also until i wen't into rivaracing shop for the first time and got the mods fever.

you can also save yourself some money by making your own parts like the power filter
    didin't you already spend some money changing the look of your rxt?
    now ask yourself was it worth it? i think so because i certanly love the look of your ski
    spent about $1500 or more so far was it worth it? yes certanly better handling in all conditions and get rid of that thumb throttle.and get the finger type one.
    hey jerry do i get commision for that?LOL

i love the thumb throttle!! when i'm jumping i can release the throttle but still have full control of ski with all four fingers on handle

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    while being cost effective and noticing and "FEELING" a gain in performance...

1. your choice or air intake (Riva or homemade)
    2. Opas block offs
    3. Aftermarket Prop (SOLAS or new skat 3-blade?! )
    4. pump wedge
    5. rotax power flow exhaust OR thru-hull

it's sure to give you a couple mph gain, but HUGE gain in acceleration on these monsters. i currently have isntalled on my RXT a air intake, wedge, NOPAS, thru-hull exhaust and man i'm only wrist deep into this ski with mods and the hole-shot and acceleration gain was huge for me... of course i got the Iintercooler, ECU, and SC mods on the way as well

since i've only just started riding last year..the opas is a benny for me..what benefit is it to remove it

from what i've learned so far...i thought about new intake grate,air filter and prop..and would like to do thru hull exhaust...with that said..what would this cost me..and what do you think i would gain?

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    you have a much more predictable machine in rough water and much smoother steering and turning abilities...

however, when you remove them you are back to the old days... let go of the gas and turn the handlebars all the way and you will still keep going straight

i would recommend you start with the off-shore OPAS competition thingy Riva sells... or you can make them yourself out of 3/4" PVC.... they are spacers that remove the water pressure spring loading capabilites of OPAS so they don't drag and drop up and down... they will stay UP all the time. much better this way at a minimum.. better without OPAS all together..

Quote Originally Posted by wavehummer
    from what i've learned so far...i thought about new intake grate,air filter and prop..and would like to do thru hull exhaust...with that said..what would this cost me..and what do you think i would gain?
    Well i have a 05' RXT like yours with almost all the goodies that are available for him, i moded mine when it was @ only 2 hours of use this was last year (march 05)

My engine mods: Riva air intake, Vortech SC impeller, Rotax Racing external intercooler, with custom plumbing kit, Turbo smart "sleeper" blow-off valve, SC was upgraded to R/R heavy duty spec's (no ceramic washers) free flow exhaust (no resonator) LOUD as HELL!!! in the 3000 rpm area

Hull mods: Riva sponsons, Riva 2 deg. pump wedge, PPG opas block off, Riva top louder intake grate, hydro turf mats, currently using my stock prop since i tried the Impros stage 3 stock oem prop tweaked to 14/19.5 specs and gain top end speed but lost bottom end also tried a custom Island Racing 14/19 concord prop depitched to 11/17 specs and gain a HUGE holeshot and midrange performance but lost 2 MPH in the top end so i removed and put my stock oem prop back.

Stock top end speed before the mods 63.5 MPH (GPS) @ 7750 peak rpm's in very hot mid 80 to 90 deg air and high humidity weather.

After the mods it run between 68.5 and 69 MPH (GPS) @ 8100 peak rpm's low in fuel with a 155 pound rider (me) in a "good day" with a HUGE increase in acceleration and midrange power.

Next mods: Riva 158 deg. thermo, Riva finger throttle coversion kit and Rivas tru-hull exhaust, all this parts are already in my garage just waiting for the call of my local watercraft tech to install them and do a couple triks to the ski that he said it would make it faster.. well time will tell

P.S. i also tested the R&D 2.5 deg. wedge but i don't like it and take it off, it was good for almost 1 MPH in the top end BUT NOT good for rough water PERIOD!!! (it was almost .5mph faster than the Riva 2 deg. wedge)

THE SKI IS FOR SALE !!!!!!! if anyone is interested, it has only 26 hours of use it look like brand new (is red and gray) but i am very far from most of you since i live in the caribbean P.R. , cheers, Ray

Quote Originally Posted by GPR/STX-15F/RXT

P.S. i also tested the R&D 2.5 deg. wedge but i don't like it and take it off, it was good for almost 1 MPH in the top end BUT NOT good for rough water PERIOD!!! (it was almost .5mph faster than the Riva 2 deg. wedge)
    What didn`t you like about the R&D 2.5 degree wedge?...PR...

Get a GPS. You can find the extrex legend for about 100.
    Take your stock ski out and get some gps speed numbers (this will be the start of the mod bug).
    Now plug and fill your rideplate (search the forums).
    Put on the OPAS blockoffs (just do it, trust me .
    No go get some gps readings. You should be a bit faster and you should now be feeling the bug.

Then add a riva intake. You will much better hookup in turns.
    Then add a 2.5 degree wedge (some like the 2). I find the 2.5 works better with the plastic bushing mod.
    With the wedge installed flip your plastic bushing(part 35 on attached pictures). If you like the feeling with the ride now then I would recommened making your own plastic bushing and put a hole in the center. I drilled out the bushing and then used jb weld epoxy paste to form it. Then poked the connector throught it and back out and let it dry.
    With your wedge installed do the reverse bucket mod (search the forums)

After all this you should have the bug by now and should be seeing increased gps speeds.
    Start trying to make your own air intake(search the forums or make a post). Then get your prop repitched(order the watcom tool or send it to impros about 30-40bucks. I found a solas on ebay and had it repitched but if you want to save money you can repitch the stock and see good results on top end just less acceleration.

This should all cost you around 300-400 and you will have a stage 1(67-68mph) and be able to keep up with a stock RXP. I would also recommend you go with a free flow exhaust which just requires you to remove the stock exhaust box. See if you like the sound and can handle an exhaust mod.
    I'm going to the thru hull....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bushing_297.gif 
Views:	65 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	2069  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information