Valve adjustment "TRICKS" ?

Thanks to dav_dman for pointing me over here! Hope you guys can help

Hey all, well I am about to start to do my 250hr service on my ski. Last year I pulled off the valve cover to do a quick lash check. I found that there was just one valve at the service limit and figure now is the time to get that taken care of. After taking a good long look today I have a few questions I am hoping there is someone out there that can help me out.

1) What diameter are the shims used. Please say 10mm as I have a bunch of them.

2) Are there any tricks in getting to the cam chain tensioner? Looks to me that the easiest way to get to the little devil is to pull the turbo out.

3) Is there an online resource for service manuels, or could some kind soul send me some PDF's?

Thanks for looking!

I build Horsepower
    +1
    I've worked on these since 02. and find it easy but have over 40 years of bike motor experience. they are just like working a 4 cylinder Bike motor.

The shims are 7.50 mm

The Cam Chain tool is Honda # 07ZMG-MCA0400 i like it. but a small screwdriver will work just not as well. the turbo does not need to be removed , just get your arms inside the hull remove the screw cap off the tensioner and insert tool. turn clockwise.

Get the service CD you will need it anyway. Info is in the back of your owners manual.

clicky below for manual info
    http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_s...C9GFL2MTTM55A8

Shawn

Thanks Shawn! I was in the bike biz as well for 15 years not as long as you but I think I will get through it.

Any other Service items I should look at for my 250? Do you have a list handy of what Honda calls for?

TIA

Matt

PS: glad to see that you are still on the web!

I build Horsepower
    +1
    I suggest that you disassemble and check the pump each season. The snap rings inside can deform, also the prop is prone to loosening up.

Use the nitro torque settings of 105 Ft/lbs and blue loctite. you should check the pump/prop every 30-40 hrs. much less if your ski is a stock one, hi output requires a watchful eye soo your down time is minimized.

shawn

+1
    Bone concurs. from over at honda lite forum:

"Your still going to have a lot of 10mm shims. 7.5's

We normally reach the tensioner by pulling the right side panel off and then by standing on the right side of the hull, reach in around and then under the exhaust manifold from the front of the engine. Its ok if you have long arms.

This is what should be printed on the little black sticker on the valve cover.
    IN 0.16 ± 0.03 (0.006 ± 0.001)
    EX 0.26 ± 0.03 (0.010 ± 0.001)

(inches)

Hambone."

Well I went and did it today. I was really surprised that after 270 hours that I didn't have one valve out of spec. So I went and pulled the cams anyways and shimmed all the intakes to the same lash. Then did all the exhaust's to the same lash. Thanks for the help with the tensioner its kind of nice to have long arms for that. The only thing I would like to do now is to sync the throttle bodies. I don't have sticks anymore so I am going to borrow them from a buddy.

As for the pump I am just going to order new bearings and seals and do a full rebuild on it. I went through it last year when I put the Solas in but I think that after all the hours I should just do it and get it over with

Thanks much guys!!!

Matt

I build Horsepower
    +1
    i figured that would be the case.

I run as tight as .003 an loose as .007 on the intakes and .008-.013 on the exhaust without getting all worried about. I've used my aftermarket cams and stock cams since 02 and other applications for 25 years similar. You will find intakes just need some clearance were exhaust really need to be set to your motor stress and application.

far as the TB sync, i would leave it alone if your not having problems, I use a carb Stick's, bet its 27 years old cause its got Mercury in it... LOL

i don't use it much, it just seems to hang on the shop wall.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroShark View Post
    far as the TB sync, i would leave it alone if your not having problems,
    Looking at the way the throttle shaft is setup I don't see how it would change unless you took it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroShark View Post
    I use a carb Stick's, bet its 27 years old cause its got Mercury in it... LOL
    Dang, I had a set of those, can't remember what happened to them after several moves and no current need for them. Maybe they're still hanging in my Dad's garage someplace covered up with junk, I need to check the next time I'm up there.

+1
    pump rebuild kit got beefier after 02.. anybody know what year it changed?.. if i recall they added a bearing spacer insert ..about 60mm long i think..

i saw cosca with a kit and noticed it had that sleeve in it that my 02 pump and kit didnt have...

anyways, i'd get the later kit if i were you

Thread Information