Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nightmare on 15f- first ride

Well i think i had the worst day today. I just bought an 04 15f last week. It has 140 hrs and has been dealer maintained. The extended warranty ran out last month.

I took it out today to the lake for the first time. I have had several built 2-strokes, including a 74mph ultra 150. This was my first time on a 4-stroke and i was really excited. So i put it in the water and the boat ran great for about 30 mins. My friend and i decided to go for a ride to the marina which is about 8 miles away. Well, about 3/4 of the way there- the boat loses power. It feels really boggy and wont rev the whole way. So we decide to turn around and limp back at about 20mph. Im thinking spark plugs all the way. Its always plugs with built 2-strokes so that was my first reaction. So we finally get back, put it back on the trailer and i pull the plugs out. The plug in cylinder #2 looks like its been scraped across the ground and is all bitched up. I look into the plug hole and it appears that the piston is chewed up as well. All the other plugs look great. What a f#*ked up day. I am soooo frustrated. I bought the 15f figuring it would be a great reliable ski or my girl, friends, and myself to mess around on without worrying about it breaking down. Any thoughts on the problem would be appreciated. I went to the local kawasaki dealer and priced out a new ultra250. Its def. gonna be a new rxp or ultra250. I need a warranty so this crap doesnt happen again. I have had the worst luck. Please help me out guys!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by codymouse54321; 06-26-2007 at 08:49 PM.

+1
    Sorry to hear your troubles. If you need advise or help regarding a rebuild, let me know. I just did one over the winter. If you decide to trade it in or sell, I would be interested in purchasing. What state are you in?

Mike

what do u think the problem is?? im interested in selling it-- taking offers!

+1
    Do a compression check. You will need the smallest adapter. Make sure you have it on the compression tester hose tight as it might come off. That happened to me recently. Where are you located?

yeah- im def. gonna do that when i get a chance. I do have the small adapter. Im not exactly sure if there is internal damage. The plug was pretty messed up. Im gonna check to to see if that plug is firing? I just dont know why?? or what caused the piston to smack the plug. Im in pennsylvnia.

any thoughts guys??????????/ thanks

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like a valve floated or the crank, rod , or wrist pin came loose, take the head off and have a look see, Kinda hard to tell you whats wrong if you havent even opened it up yet.Help us help you, lol

+1
    I am still wondering how you looked down in that deep hole to see your piston. Getting the head off is not an easy task. Have you got a service manual yet?

Ive seen a Valve drop in these before. Looks as you have stated. The valve will drop and it chunks off pieces of the piston head. Peppers the whole piston. Good thing is only the topend needs help. Are you in Florida?

What causes a Valve to drop. Probably failing to do a proper valve adjustment at 100hrs. Would have cost 200 bucks. Crazy thing is that you probably thought the motor sounded fine, comming from a 2 stroke but more then likly it was screaming for help the whole time.

Get it fixed and youl enjoy it for years as long as the proper service is done....

+1
    Valve float is usually the culprit in these situations. You might have had a weak valve spring that gave up. A valve adjustment would have to be REALLY out of whack to smack a piston. Most likely it will be an exhaust valve. I grenaded my heads/cam 5.0 motor from valve float. An exhaust valve broke off, holed a piston, bent the rod and put a hole in the block and the motor siezed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information