Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick question.. solas YD-SC-XO prop for yamaha 1100 fit 97 gp1200?

I found one at a good price... Solas YD-SC-XO. My stock prop is perfect, but I'm looking for a little more top end. I get 57-59 on gps now depending on the trim setting and how full the gas tank is . I hear that the xo prop is what I need. The engine is completly stock, the only upgrades to the ski are beachhouse sponsons, aluminum trim tabs, and riva spash guard. From all I hear, the XO is THE BEST all around prop for an otherwise stock ski. I'm just wondering if that particular XO prop is what I need so I can get it.. Again I have a 97 yamaha gp1200

Thanks in advance!
    Jared

+1
    Hi Jared yes an XO will work much better than the stock prop on your ski. what ride plate and intake grate are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    Hi Jared yes an XO will work much better than the stock prop on your ski. what ride plate and intake grate are you running?
    Hi,

I have the stock ride plate and intake grate now.. but I have on order a riva grate (I had some credit left over from my jet ski mechanic.. who happens to be a friend of mine as well, so I just had him order me a grate and call it even and that would be my first performance mod!)

Will that xo prop work on my gp1200? YD-SC-XO...??? Solas's website isn't very clear to me...

+1
    YD-SC-XO yes it will work on a gp1200 any year

Ok, GREAT! Now, onto my next question... what kind of top speed difference should I expect? Why does solas not have that prop listed under gp1200.. only 1100 raider etc...?

+1
    you will not see a lot of increase in top speed 1-2 mph but you will get there much faster. The ride plate and grate will help alot read a lot of the threads in here for more speed advice on the GP

here is the spreadsheet I downloaded from solas a couple years ago it shows the props
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: xls p.xls (236.5 KB, 160 views)

Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    you will not see a lot of increase in top speed 1-2 mph but you will get there much faster. The ride plate and grate will help alot read a lot of the threads in here for more speed advice on the GP

here is the spreadsheet I downloaded from solas a couple years ago it shows the props
    1-2mph is good for me.. I'll be in the 60mph range all the time then. What other minor mods help increase top end... remember I'm all stock (thus stock reliability). I want to keep that, so no engine mods, just bolt on performance and minimal at that. No aftermarket heads, no big carbs... been there done that with my old seadoo... that I blew up! (but perhaps that was enevitable anyways )

What threads in particular are you referring to.. I have come across VERY little threads on the 97 gp1200... perhaps I'm typing wrong, but I can't find alot of information on it...

Anyway, thanks in advance!
    Jared

look for the gp bible... mike thorns paper on gp do's and donts .. its information is still valid..

get some f/a's ( enrichen about 1/8 to 1/4 turn...)if your tabs are plastic and still there replace em with aftermarket aluminum's .. if your running an after market plate.. send it to jims(performance) and have it trued...
    welcome to your dark side lol

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    look for the gp bible... mike thorns paper on gp do's and donts .. its information is still valid..

get some f/a's ( enrichen about 1/8 to 1/4 turn...)if your tabs are plastic and still there replace em with aftermarket aluminum's .. if your running an after market plate.. send it to jims(performance) and have it trued...
    welcome to your dark side lol
    Would this be the page you are referring to? http://extremeteamracing.com/97-99GP1200.htm

Yes, my trim tabs are aluminum ones.. (previous owner of my ski, and sole owner before me was a yamaha tech who owned his own powersports dealership. He is retired now, but he took the absolute best care of this ski, it is in prestine condition, and every necessary upgrade has been done while keeping the ski stock enginewise). It has the riva spash guard, beach house sponsons, and the metal trim tabs.)

The air box is completly stock.. he told me that the gp1200's had a rather good air intake system, and that messing with that for the cone flame arrestors would risk possible water injection, and the small benefits from the aftermarket FA's wouldn't outweigh the risk...? Is this not true? If so, what kind of benefit will I see from aftermarket flame arrestors.. and what kind should I be looking for (cheapest preferrably). Also, he added a primer kit, but the choke parts are still there... your thoughts on this? The choke system is still functional as well and I'd like to leave it if it doesn't affect that much...

I don't want to do anything that will require carb rejetting. The boat rides and is fast enough for me now, just to get a couple miles an hour out of the boat, I don't want to go through the whole carb ordeal. Turning the jets back a fraction of a turn is another story, but re-jetting....absolutely no. I'm not going to the dark side, lol I don't want a 70mph ski, just one that will do every bit of 60 and a little over all day long until it runs out of gas.

One more thing I noticed... the dream-0-meter, (which ironically is very accurate on this ski... within 1-2mph from gps), works sporatically... it will work from a stand still to wot, for a while, but it seems like it wants to drop off back down to about 16mph or so every now and then and stay there until I back off the throttle and start again... any thoughts on why it's doing this? Not that it matters, I do have the GPS with me always, but looking at those huge font numbers reading 16mph and I'm clearly doing almost 60mph is a bit distracting...

Jared

+1
    The carbs are high on the GP and you are not at risk of ingesting water with the aftermarket flame arrestors. The benefit is better throttle response and an RPM gain (after you dial the carbs in). You won't have to rejet, just richen the adjustment screws. Removing the choke plates is a pain and the gain is not really worth the hassle. If you are not going to do any motor mods, you can skip the air filters and choke plate removal. There is speed in the hull. Filling all the bolt holes underneath and sanding them smooth is one thing. Shimming the rideplate down in the front will also give you more topspeed, but will cost you hook up in the chop. I will post some links to what I have done. All of the work I did to the hull is worth 2.5-3mph.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information