Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wd-40 Redux

Wd-40 Redux

OK, this may be beating a dead horse, but after seraching this site for threads discussing WD-40, I am more confused than anything else now ...

The consensus is that it does displace water (WD, duh!) and it is cheaper than most lube & silicone sprays. But in terms of rust prevention, eveyone seem to have a different opinion: some swear by it and advise to spray before each ride, then again after rinsing the engine compartment. Some just plain hate it and only use it to fix squeaky things or locked nuts. Others are concerned about damages to rubber and plastics.

So, WD-40 as a rust preventer, it is a myth or reality? How does it compare to silicone sprays? Anyone using foggers? How about rubber parts damage in the engine compartment?

Well, I have no skis or boats now but I have been riding jets skis since 1979 and raced for 8 years (in alot of salt).

Here is what I know. WD-40 displaces water. In the olden days when you sunk your 2 stroke the first thing you did is took out the plugs, rolled it over on its side and ran the starter to get the water out. Then you soaked the cylinders with WD40 to displace the water and lube the pistons back up, as the water strips the oil from them. WD40 is also the best starter fluid to use for 2 strokes. It is flamable and it has oil in it. NEVER use standard started fluid in a 2 stroke, it could seize the pistons. (No oil). Sorry to talk 2 strokes, but this is my knowledge base.

And yes, WD40 does prevent rust. rust is caused by air and water on raw metal/steel.

Also, when going into salt water spray the entire engine bay down, motor, electrical components, etc with WD40. It will never completely dry and it will coat the motor and not allow salt to dry and stick to anything. Wheter we are talking water in the compartment or just salty air. It also makes it easy to hose out the compartment after the ride to get the salt/sand out. (Also remember older skis like 550s took on alot more water into their compartments).

Here is another trick. Wax the entire outside of the hull with Pledge furniture polish. Salt won't stick to it either, plus it makes your boat look fabulously shiny!

I use it on everything. My RXP, my car, my truck, and I like it on my salad also.

He also uses it to polish his bald head!
    Seriously, when in doubt use Bombardier spray or equivalent.
    Last edited by gtxsc03; 06-27-2007 at 12:01 AM.

I don't like WD40 for this application because of the petroleum content, it's not good for rubber products.

Ah, Pledge furniture polish, that's a good idea! I can see how it would prevent sal from sticking to the hull... I guess I'll give it a try.

Call me cheap, but I'm all about low tech, generic brand products, as long as they do the job!

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    I don't like WD40 for this application because of the petroleum content, it's not good for rubber products.
    So I probably shouldnt use petroleum to run my engines either? It will harm the hoses?

All kidding aside, Bomb spray is a rip off at 9 bucks a can. WD-40 and silicone spray for the hoses. my 2 cents.

And I dont use wd-40 on my head gtxsc03! alright? It's Turtle wax!! alright?! get it right! sheeeesh.
    Last edited by The Bandit; 06-27-2007 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP Steve View Post
    So I probably shouldnt use petroleum to run my engines either? It will harm the hoses?
    Do you run oil based products through your coolant hoses? There are different grades of rubber for different applications. If you've ever seen an oil leak on a car that has been leaking onto a motor mount or a radiator hose, then you'll see my point. But hey it's your ski, you can spray whatever you like on it.

It won't hurt fuel or coolant lines. I have used wd40 on the same motor parts for years with no adverse results.

From their website:

WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material.
    DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits.
    PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts.
    LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts.
    PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.

+1
    Last edited by beerdart; 06-27-2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Misinformed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information