Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 SLX Idle adjustment

I had my dads 01 SLX out this weekend and it ran great but idles really low (you have to stay on the gas to keep it running). Haven't really looked at it yet but is there just an idle screw on the carbs somewhere?

One other question is I have an 00 SLX and both mine and my dads everytime you start them (the first time) for the day they will fire right up and run for about 20 seconds and then they will stall. It always takes a while for them to start back up meaning cranking them over a few times and using the choke. Mine just started doing this last year, any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by S12L00X View Post
    I had my dads 01 SLX out this weekend and it ran great but idles really low (you have to stay on the gas to keep it running). Haven't really looked at it yet but is there just an idle screw on the carbs somewhere?

One other question is I have an 00 SLX and both mine and my dads everytime you start them (the first time) for the day they will fire right up and run for about 20 seconds and then they will stall. It always takes a while for them to start back up meaning cranking them over a few times and using the choke. Mine just started doing this last year, any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Yes, there is a big black screw on the very front of the rack, in front of the MAG carb. You have to remove the red flame arrestor cover to see it. Turn it clockwise to raise the idle. I usually shoot for just over 3000 rpm on the trailer. Seems to translate to 1400 on the water.

Dont know about the start/stall problem. Definitely sounds fuel related. Not sure if it's weak fuel pumps having trouble getting primed or a restriction in the line somewhere? I always run a primer, and have never had starting issues since. If the ski starts to die, a few pumps of the plunger and a blip of the throttle and its back up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by S12L00X View Post

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave, I had the same issue.
    I'd pull the carbs and check the filters, mine were extremely ugly. Cleaned them up and away I went, no more re-starts once running, power increase and better idle.

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Dave, I had the same issue.
    I'd pull the carbs and check the filters, mine were extremely ugly. Cleaned them up and away I went, no more re-starts once running, power increase and better idle.

I was going to pull my carbs and check them out. I am not very good with carbs but I did change out the 70's to 65's. Is the filter on the side of the cover you take off with the little metal circle in the center?

(sorry for the not so good discription)

Thanks

+1
    They are on the jet block plate as you described, I have photos here.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ght=loss+power
    Have you tried to open your lows?
    Were you having this issue before you dropped to the 65's?

They are on the jet block plate as you described, I have photos here.

Have you tried to open your lows?
    Were you haveing this issue before you dropped to the 65's?

Didn't touch the lows and it was happening before I dropped to the 65's.

How do you clean the filters?

Thanks
    Last edited by S12L00X; 06-27-2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: found the pics

+1
    I just popped them off and back flushed them with brake clean. I also flushed all of the fuel supply lines at the carburetors.
    Maybe try opening them 1/4-1/2 turn and see if it makes a difference.
    Be sure to keep track of their current position.

I just popped them off and back flushed them with brake clean. I also flushed all of the fuel supply lines at the carburetors.
    Maybe try opening them 1/4-1/2 turn and see if it makes a difference.
    Be sure to keep track of their current position.
    Thanks for the info.

How does it help when you loosen the jets? The stock 70's that I took out were all they way tight so when I changed them out with the 65's I just tightend them all the way.

I was going to send them out to Randy but I have been so busy with work I just got it out of storage last night and I am all the way in Michigan. So by the time I sent them out to him and got them back that would set me back a couple weeks at least. I wanted him to do it because I was going to go with the pissers ( buying the plates from the Octane and just running the hoses out the front side like the 785's) and putting a set of V Force reeds in it. I wanted him to do all the jetting and look everything over because I did not want to blow it up. Any thoughts on doing all that?

+1
    Also a very good idea if you are uncomfortable with the work.
    I meant unscrewing the low speed adjustment screws on the outside of the carbs NOT the jets themselves, leave those tight.

Also a very good idea if you are uncomfortable with the work.
    I meant unscrewing the low speed adjustment screws on the outside of the carbs NOT the jets themselves, leave those tight.

I'm an idiot.

Thanks for all the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information