Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Todays test results

The results today are just looking to find my bounce and eliminate it and take some notes in the mean time. I could not superman with any setup I used today due to the ride plate angle and wet seat from the rain. Ride plate .970 (still to high and I forgot my long level to adjust it properly). 800 grate, 14/22SB prop, stepped sponsons. All starts were in nuetral position then one click (bow up) once on plane.

conditions:
    temp-84.5
    humidity-rain
    water-glass except rain drops
    wind- o-5 mph
    elevation- 1000ft
    Half tank fuel

Testing was done at a private boat ramp and trailer was left in the water. After initial warm up to operating temp each thing was tested excactly 15 minutes apart from each other to avoid heat soak issues.
    .................................................. .................................................. ....
    No tabs
    no holes
    from dead stop to WOT= Little cavitaion, bounced 2-3 times before it settled down on plane, started to bounce at 74.7 mph. 7100 rpm

No tabs
    Kerry package holes
    nothing else done except holes drilled.
    from a dead stop to WOT= Little cavitation, bounced once before it settled on plane, started to bounce at 75.8mph @ 7100 rpm. It felt a little more stable until it started bouncing.

Trim tabs installed (no shims)
    Kerry package holes
    Nothing done but tabs installed. From a dead stop to WOT= just a touch more cavitation (dont know why?), no bounce to get on plane, started to bounce at 74.5mph @7070 rpm. It felt a little more responsive to body language but still bounced.
    .................................................. .................................................. ....
    The holes allowed me to go 1.1 mph faster before I started bouncing with the rideplate angle being to steep. I think any good method of relieving pump pressure would accomplish this but I didnt have any negative effects (only positive). It might only be used to fix the buck, but It did settle the ski enough to help cope with the rideplate angle.

The tabs felt solid but bounced 1.3 mph sooner. I dont understand how I would bounce sooner with the tabs installed?
    Last edited by porksword; 06-28-2007 at 12:27 AM.

+1
    Great info pork. I am planning a trip soon to do the same thing, back to back testing of different parts. My bucking problem started after installing a stock shoe. My old shoe had about .038" removed from the mounting surface, and I replaced it because it had 2 broken grate bolts, one had a snapped easy-out and drill bit in it. I managed to fix the old shoe, so I will do back to back testing with both shoes, using no sealant. I am also going to bring my cordless drill and try holes in the stock shoe. Will post results.

Do you think bigger holes would have helped with your testing?

Quote Originally Posted by Robsauto2 View Post
    Great info pork. I am planning a trip soon to do the same thing, back to back testing of different parts. My bucking problem started after installing a stock shoe. My old shoe had about .038" removed from the mounting surface, and I replaced it because it had 2 broken grate bolts, one had a snapped easy-out and drill bit in it. I managed to fix the old shoe, so I will do back to back testing with both shoes, using no sealant. I am also going to bring my cordless drill and try holes in the stock shoe. Will post results.

Do you think bigger holes would have helped with your testing?
    I guess its possible but I really dont think so. I think its a fine line before you drain off too much pressure or settle the ski to much and start to loose speed. If nothing else Im sure it has reduced the pressure enough to keep my pump tunnel from blowing out since the water would rather exit the holes than my tunnel wall. I hope

Great post, especially on the back to back testing. Much appreciated.

Rob, how will you do the back to back testing on the shoes? Are you not going to seal them? Just curious.

Great post, Pork! Empirical and methodical. We need more tests of modifications and parts just like this. Thank you.

Eric

+1
    The tabs felt solid but bounced 1.3 mph sooner. I dont understand how I would bounce sooner with the tabs installed?
    Play with the angle on the tabs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NateGP1300R View Post
    Rob, how will you do the back to back testing on the shoes? Are you not going to seal them? Just curious.
    Yeah will test without using sealant. I bring a cordless impact and drill with other tools in my ultra and test right on the water.

I was just thinking, If you dont seal the shoe then the holes probably wont help since the pressure can already relieve itself through the unsealed shoe.

I would do the testing on the shoes, find the one you like, then after its sealed you can try the holes. JMO

+1
    RE the ride plate angle @ .950 to .980 ...I am measuring from in front the flat spot in front of the grate back to the bottom center of the plate and get 1.278 - this is a Jims FF plate.

I cant understand how I am running so much angle and there is No bounce with one washer under each tab bolt. (no 2" extension).
    Last edited by mrbtd; 06-28-2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information