Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fouled plugs

+1

Fouled plugs

I have noticed a few people having problems with fouled plugs. I have not had this problem but was curious to see if the people who had one also had a ski that was overfilled with oil. Did anyone save one of the fouled plugs and take a pic of it?
    Last edited by Beagleman62; 06-28-2007 at 02:41 PM.

I have one in number 4 cylinder.I will get picture of it and post for you. And yes my ski is over full on oil. The oil on stick 1/8 in above highest mark

+1
    #4 bad and not over full here. To look at the plug there was no indication it was bad, no oil on the plug at all.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Importracer View Post
    #4 bad and not over full here. To look at the plug there was no indication it was bad, no oil on the plug at all.
    Thanks for the info.
    I was wondering if the oil was fouling them or if the stock plugs are cheap and need to be replaced. But with which plug? From what I'm seeing on here, most people are having a tough time getting stock plugs much less a better replacement.

I called 4 different parts houses today and no one had any of the plugs. Everyone of them also told me that the part number was no good. All of them were auto parts stores.

Is there another number or an alternate plug that can be used? The Kawai dealer does not have any either.

+1
    If a plug is "fouled" it would be by either carbon buildup or oil. Since the Ultras have too little hours for carbon, the fouling must be due to oil. Spark plugs have no moving parts and unless there is a manufacturing defect, all that is needed to "fix" a fouled plug is a good cleaning. Plug fouling was common in 2 strokes, but should be a thing of the past with the new 4 strokes. The plugs in the Ultra should be good for hundreds of hours and don't need to be replaced unless they are defective. If the plug is clean and still not firing properly, chances are the problem is with the coil, not the plug.

Richard

I also got same response, my Kaw dealer took 20 min to tell me he didn't have any at $20.00 each. Found 4 at NAPA warehouse for $15.00 each, all they had. Their stock code is 4717, might help them locate them, I spend an hour on the phone.

I would also agree with Richard's response. I drag raced a 615 cu.in./1100 hp car for years, I don't know anyone who even changed a spark plug unless they were bored, talked to the guy I sold it to tonite. Told him this story, he laughed and said he changes plugs every 3 yrs, but doesn't need to. He's a Cadillac mechanic for 20 yrs, also says plug problems should be a thing of the past.

If you go to this link here:http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_fitment.asp?pid=PMR9B Notice that it shows the PMR9B also fits the STX15F. But if you click on the Ultra 250 link it shows a regular Iridium plug for the Ultra that is a CR9IEX and a CR9EK standard plug.. That CR9EK shows to be the standard plug for the 15F according to Kawasaki.com. The Kawasaki P/N is 92070-1264. Maybe your dealer has either of these to get you running until the PMR9B's arrive. They both have the same heat range,same reach, both resistor plugs. Just different electrode materials. No reason they shouldn't work,just may not last forever like the double platinums do,or should anyway

I used the iridiums in mine with no problems. I got the cross number straight from NGK R & D before it was posted on the web. I posted some info on it a while back, but I was told by people on here who know more than me that it would void my warranty, so I just let it go.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information