Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What is the proper way to convert to premix on a 97xp?

I bought a 97xp that did not have an engine, I then bought a engine that had been converted to premix with the blockoff plate. It has a clear/green hose that cconnects 2 barbed fittings on both sides of the crankcase. One is below the carbs and the other is around the same place on the opposite side. Is this correct? Can I totally remove the oil tank or do I still need it for anything?

+1
    Welcome to the forum

Yes, you can leave the tank where it sits. The oil line that connects to each side of the motor is to keep the rotary valve gear inside the motor lubed. Keep those connected.
    If that line is clear, it needs oil in it to keep the rotary valve gear & shaft assembly in a bath of oil.
    Part #20

ROTARY VALVE

Yes both part #20's are connected with one piece of hose, I do not see any oil in the hose. How am I susposed to add oil in this hose? It looks near impossible to do so with everything in there and then how do I change it and when do I need to do that? This cant be as complicated as it seems....

+1
    * Here is one way, if it is one peice of hose, cut it in half, and get a plastic or brass barbed fitting to splice the two back together.
    * Take both ends in the "up" position
    * Now, take a small funnel and put it in one end of the hose you cut and begin to fill. You can also us a syringe or turket baster to fill in the hole.
    * Make sure your spark plugs are out as you will need to place your hand at the back of the motor and rotate the crank shaft via the PTO to allow the rotary valve gear to spin and help lube/fill this void.
    * You will eventually see the oil come out the other end of the hose where you cut it.
    * Now once these hoses have been packed with oil, put them back together with the barbed fitting.
    * The rotary valve gear and shaft assembly is now packed with oil (injection oil). Amsoil, Bombardier XP-S ect.....

You should be able to find this fitting at an auto parts house or hardware store in the plumbign supply. Very similar to the one below...it can be in white, brass, grey, black ect.....it is not under pressure where you will be connecting it.

See this link below
    http://server1.sbtontheweb.com/forum...achmentid=1201

* You can also instead of putting in a spliced barbed fitting, install a T-fitting to allow you to fill with 1 hose. Just make sure you cap the end when filled. Leave a little air space at the top of the loop for a little expansion.

What if you just left the oil tank connected with the big hose going to the bottom of the motor and left a bit of oil in the tank? That way it would bleed itself and any air would go into the tank and out the vent. Since you have the pumped blocked off it won't suck the tank dry and you know you have oil going to the shaft bath. Karl

Is the hose that the oil sits in just vinly hose? If so I think I will do that becaue vinyl hose is cheap. Otherwise I will have to order the factory stuff...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhardt View Post
    What if you just left the oil tank connected with the big hose going to the bottom of the motor and left a bit of oil in the tank? That way it would bleed itself and any air would go into the tank and out the vent. Since you have the pumped blocked off it won't suck the tank dry and you know you have oil going to the shaft bath. Karl

Thats how ive done three engines.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    On race engines we cut the loops close to the engine and tie together at the highest point with a tee. Add a small piece, and fill to leave a 3-4" air pocket.

Now...the RV cavity within the engine always maintains an air pocket in the top of it, so when you ride aggressively the oil will lower to take up some of this airspace. Topping off 2-3 times after each ride will eventually prevent a drop in the 3-4" air pocket at the top of the lines. If it still drops consistantly...your crank seals are leaking allowing excess oil to enter the engine.

If you look closely...the oil in both tubes is a "level" position of the hull. One being higher than the other is just because the hull is tilted.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Topping off 2-3 times after each ride will eventually prevent a drop in the 3-4" air pocket at the top of the lines. If it still drops consistantly...your crank seals are leaking allowing excess oil to enter the engine.

exactly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information