Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

GP1200 Pulse Line not connected, am I screwed?

I bought a used ski a couple of weeks ago (199, and it was running a little rough and pretty smoky compared to the 1998 GP800 I bought at the same time. I was told the carbs probably needed a rebuild, so tonight while I was taking everything out to get to the carbs, I noticed the pulse line to the middle carb was not connected (must have fell off).

I'm not mechanical at all, and these are the first skis I've owned, but from my understanding the pulse line being disconnected meant no fuel getting into the middle cylinder, which most likely was my issue.

I'm going to rebuild the carbs anyway since I bought the rebuild kits and since I have it all pretty much out. My main concern though is that there is engine damage now. I've taken the ski out about 5 times since I've owned them (not knowing there was anything majorly wrong with it), I have no idea how long they have been like this with the previous owner.

How much trouble am I in?

+1
    Do a compression test and that will tell you if you have engine damage.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    That will cause a major air leak and possible melt down of that cylinder. Definately check compression.

there is a chance that you may luck out.... on the top end... yes, as was said, read your compression... but....just how long did the lower end operate with only residule oil's left since the line came off ,'before' you got the ski??
    I'd have to pull it down rather than risk a major repair...

Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    there is a chance that you may luck out.... on the top end... yes, as was said, read your compression... but....just how long did the lower end operate with only residule oil's left since the line came off ,'before' you got the ski??
    I'd have to pull it down rather than risk a major repair...
    I'll check compression tonight. Sorry for the newb question, but what are the steps required to check the lower end?

+1
    I dought there is any damage to the bottom end from the pulse line being off. The center carb will still operate and provide fuel due to the fact all 3 are tied together and fuel pressure is shared. This also should have no effect on oil injection. However as Addicted pointed out it is a huge air leak and could have damaged the center piston from lean seizure.

i was thinking premix..and this not getting proper lube... my bad...
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 06-29-2007 at 12:40 PM.

The carbs fuel pressure is not equalized, unless you had a common restrictor in the return line and that is IF the carb restrictors were drilled out which they are not from factory, so no, that one carb was not feeding any fuel at all to the cylinder, in another note, the spark will not ignite the oil that the oil pump has been injecting, and most likely there is excess oil in the crank. You crank would have failed by know if there was no lubrication. Because there is no ignition taking place there is no heat, there is some friction but the injected oil should have lubricated all of the componenets in that cylinder. IMO you should be OK!!!!!!!

You CAN NOT have a lean condition when there is no ignition. There is spark but no ignition since there is no fuel. That cylinder was running dead cold with lots of oil. Just like when you blow a reed petal. I ran with a broken V-Force II petal on my triple piper tor 3-4 miles one time. just to get back to the ramp. There was no damage at all to the cylinder.

Fercho
    Last edited by Fercho; 06-30-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fercho View Post
    The carbs fuel pressure is not equalized, unless you had a common restrictor in the return line and that is IF the carb restrictors were drilled out which they are not from factory., so no that one carb was not feeding any fuel at all to the cylinder, in another note, the spark will not ignite the oil that the oil pump has been injecting, and most likely there is excess oil in the crank. You crank would have failed by know if there was no lubrication. Because there is no ignition taking place there is no heat, there is some friction but the injected oil should have lubricated all of the componenets in that cylinder. IMO you should be OK!!!!!!!

You CSN NOT have a lean condition when there is no ignition. There is spark but no ignition since there is no fuel. That cylinder was running dead cold with lots of oil. Just like when you blow a reed petal. I ran with a broken V-Force II petal on my triple piper tor 3-4 miles one time. just to get back to the ramp. There was no damage at all to the cylinder.

Fercho
    Thanks for all the info guys. Rebuilt the carbs tonight and did a compression test. All cylinders checked out at about 118-120. Sounds like I should be good. Too late to fire it up tonight, but I'll start it in the morning and am excited to see how much better it runs on 3 cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by DTV View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. Rebuilt the carbs tonight and did a compression test. All cylinders checked out at about 118-120. Sounds like I should be good. Too late to fire it up tonight, but I'll start it in the morning and am excited to see how much better it runs on 3 cylinders.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information