Thread: 2003 Sportster

2003 Sportster

Just looking for a little advise. I am looking at getting a 2003 sportster. It is just my wife and I, who are in our lower 20's and looking for something fun on the weekends. We want to be able to do a little tubing, and I am looking to try a little wakeboarding. The boat looks to be in good condition. I have never owned a boat before but grew up with jet skis. What advise would you have as far as looking for problems/issues with this boat?

-M-

Well that depends, is it an LE, a twin or a 4tec? They can all be used for your purposes, but the 4tec is the most reliable by far imo.

Its just the LE. I honestly thought that the only real difference was for the HP.

Well the LE is a two stroke, and in my 2 yr experience not very reliable, but I'm sure there are others that have had good luck with them. Another thing to keep in mind is that some lakes do not allow 2 strokes and that is likely to get more prevalent as stricter emissions laws go into effect, so if you plan to boat on lakes you might want to check into that beforehand.

The 4 stroke engine models are just so much more reliable imo, that I would never consider a 2 stroke again, I'm sure some 2 stroke owners aren't going to agree, but consider this...the 951 engine in the LE is an engine from a ski that was put into a much heavier boat. I have read about many engine failures of the 951 in addition to my own experiences, that's why I sold my '03 and bought the '05.

The 4tec hulls also provide a bit of a smoother ride with a redesigned aft area and slightly longer hull.

Do some research here and on www.jetboating.net and you can decide for yourself if it's something that would fill your needs.

Good luck.

thanks so much for all of the info ... all I have ever had is a 2 stroke but I have been told by a good few that the 4 is better ... I just find them so much harder to do work on ... I dont think I have ever seen a lake LOL , I live on the st johns in Jax FL so no lake for me I have a smelly river to play on.

Thread Information