Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help losing spark on gsx

I have a 96 gsx with a new rebuilt motor. I have a new starter,and battery. When Its under compression I dont have any spark. When you take the plugs out there is spark. Im getting spark with the plugs out but if I put just one in and turn it over the other plug has no spark.
    Is it possible that the starter is drawing too many amps which in turn is drawing the voltage down to lose spark?
    Can someone help me here.

ok if this is very agravateing. I have 2 skis the same model. 1 runs perfect. The other one cranks one time and then no spark.
    I have tryed swaping components from one ski to another trying to eliminate why it looses spark.
    I have tryed battery,starter cylinoid,coil,starter,flywheel,stator, pickups,wireing harness,cdi box/ w compnents.
    The only things I havent switched was the dess post,starter stop switch,and thermal sensor.
    Can these cause an intermitant spark loss.....even though it turns over? I also get the 2 short beeps when i plug the lanyard in(which makes me think the dess is working)

ok now its consistant.....spark plugs out , I get spark.
    Put them in and it cranks and runs good no problem.
    Shut it off........and try and start again, Undercompression.....no spark
    Take the plugs out and they start sparking again......
    Cycle continues.....I can get it running by taking the plugs in and out for one time.....this is killing me , I have now swaped every part associated with the electrical system with no results.
    HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

ok........im thinking now that its fouling out. Every time I pull those plugs they look wet. Im thinking that its fouling out and when I pulll the plugs they have a chance to dry out and spark ... although new plugs didnt fix this.
    what i dont get is the fact that when it does crank up it sounds good. No stumbling or missing.
    One thing I might mention is that when I was trying to get it started earlyer it backfired. Also the starter does have a hesitation before it starts turning over.
    I have tryed everything that I can think of. Mabey someone will chime in with some insight.

Although as quite as it has been I wonder if anyone even has a clue.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    You change the engine ground wire? The small black ground wire will corrode under the heat shrink tubing too.

yes I have tried a new engine ground.If it sits for a while, It will crank right up and run smoothly. Kill it and it wont restart. pull one plug out and the one plug will spark one time and then nothing. Pull them both out and they both have spark. put them back in and it will start back up.
    Kill the motor and nothing................I have a seadoo programer and I have tryed different dess keys thinking something was wrong with that. But I have had no success.

I almost thoiught for a little while that I was wet fouling out the plugs. But after extensive carb adjutments, I could not make the condition change. Only when it was running did messing with the carbs change anything.

I need help

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Did you change the cap on the rear black box? Check these terminals for corrosion...especially the black ground wire.

I will tell you this...96 ignitions are very, very weak. The battery can be weak and kill the spark as you describe. A weak coil can also do the same thing.

I'm of the opinion you have a corroded connection, or a failing electrical component. Ignition coil, DESS, try them first. You need to swap one thing at a time. For sure though, you have a pain in the butt!

yes I did change the black box by the battery including all wireing harness parts. The strange thing is the other bike still runs with swaping over the electrical parts from this one. I am starting to think mabey its some kind of timeing issue.
    I dont know if this has anything to do with it but the motor that was just rebuilt was an sbt motor that we changed the crank to a hotrod crank and the pistons are prox .10 over. I also put some oem jugs off of another bike because the sbt's where bored .60over when I broke it down.
    Im thinking that sbt may have adjusted the timing for there motor that was something different than stock....
    I dont know though......what you guys think?

.......ok im back, and i think i have it narrowed down. After switching both wiring harness and front electrical box, I found that the bike would no longer recognize the key. Also I no longer can get my MPEM programer to talk to the dess to reprogram the key.
    So im thinking I got a bad dess post thats intermitent.

For anyone who has run into a strange loosing spark issue, I can tell you that having one of these posts act up is no fun. Its not easy to troubleshoot either due to the intermitent connectivity.
    anyway I hope this fixs it. Im so ready to be done with this.

new dess, same problem. Intermitent spark. Every time it turns over I get one good spark and then nothing.
    Unplug key then replug key it starts and runs fine....very crisp. Turn it off then try and restart. I get one good spark out of a very hard first turn of the flywheel, then as the flywheel spins over.....nothing.
    Have swaped intire electrical system from the running bike into this one and the problem stays. I took the electricals off of this bike and put in the other one and it still runs like a champ.
    I just dont get it..............still need help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information