Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Spark

01 genesis spark on release of start button

Hi Guys first post, why a polaris? Cause nobody else will even touch it.
    Beerdart and Pho2craft, read all your FANTASIC info on a no spark condition, with 9 volts to the brown stator wire i get a spark on one plug when releasing the start button. I read somewhere what this means, but can't find the info now. This is a bone stock original 2001 genesis with original stator and cdi.
    Hope you guys can help, because there is nobody else even willing to look at this thing.
    Oh well the 701 sj,kawi 750sx and kawis 650 sx run fine, guess time to call it quits and head out riding. Thanks

+1
    canadan WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

Gotta run but I'm going to move this into the general section where we can help you out.
    But first make sure your battery is fully charged and in good working order!!

No spark genesis, go figure!

The wife tells me i am beyond help!
    Yup i already read all the info i can on the hulk and also visited many other forums.I remember reading somewhere that a spark on release of the start switch is an indication of what is wrong.
    I have had this boat here for a week, i will run a wire check over the weekend and if i can't find a problem, it's out of here monday and likely will never be back in the water. Parts are available, stator 800 bucks, cdi 600, coil pack 200.Plus labor if i can't find the solution to this lads problem.Plus as i mentioned before there is nobody local even willing to look at this, if they do it's going to cost 2-3 k for sure, then they find the broken wire and that's the only thing left to check for.
    Btw it came in with no battery and easily could have been an arc at the battery or reversed the polarity when installing.
    Btw the yamaha sj ran like a champ, the kawi 650 is great, the kawi 750 sx, well it's going under the knife in the morning.Pulser coil out of adjustment, or carb popoff wrong.(hey it came in as a basket case yesterday)Had a great ride today.Thanks for the welcome ph2ocraft!

Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    canadan WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!!

Gotta run but I'm going to move this into the general section where we can help you out.
    But first make sure your battery is fully charged and in good working order!!

Canadan, just hang loose, I've got a similar problem w/an SLX1200. I got no spark at all. I just replaced the stator and still no spark. Ph2ocraft had me check the yellow wire coming from the stator. I think it should be 14+ volts. Mine goes from 12.5 to 11.4 while cranking. The ski I'm working on had the battery installed backwards and now no spark. I changed the stator but still no spark. I'm thinkin cdi.........

+1
    So what is the year and model?
    If it requires the update, you'll get the CDI, stator and coils (I think) so you won't be wasting money doing the up-date.
    The spark when you let off is usually the CDI or weak battery.

Hi Twinstack, you would'nt happen to be near tmi?
    I'll check the yellow wire, i also had no spark at all till i used the 9 volt battery to the brown wire from the stator,(btw check the voltage of the 9 volt battery, the first battery was 6 volts) then it just fires one plug.When you let go of the start button only.
    I'm using a car battery and charger to be sure getting enough juice.Already pulled the stator to inspect and it is not the one with white coils, this one has red epoxied coils.Going to check each wire for continuity, before ordering everything monday. A lot cheaper to buy from the usa.Just missed a cdi for the one your working on ebay for 78 bucks.
    Supposedly the octane uses a different cdi? Carries a different part number and the same as the slx, from what i have read so far?The reason i ask is because i have a buddy with octane parts.
    Btw ph2ocraft, its a 2001 1200cc genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by twinstack1 View Post
    Canadan, just hang loose, I've got a similar problem w/an SLX1200. I got no spark at all. I just replaced the stator and still no spark. Ph2ocraft had me check the yellow wire coming from the stator. I think it should be 14+ volts. Mine goes from 12.5 to 11.4 while cranking. The ski I'm working on had the battery installed backwards and now no spark. I changed the stator but still no spark. I'm thinkin cdi.........

Can, you need to check out this http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15437
    especially the part in the 1st post that tells you why the ignition components go bad by outside sources i.e. battery chargers, spikes, ect. Right now, I think my mistake is not following the test procedures precislely. I get so frustrated that I start jumping around all over the place.

Thanks for the heads up Twinstack, but that was one of the first pages i read and printed it off.
    I'm leaning towards a bad cdi, if i put 9 volts to the brown wire connected and cranking i get a spark every time on that one plug when i remove the 9 volts It reads around 5 volts while cranking.
    Looks like we are not alone.lol
    http://www.pwcforum.com/polaris-jets...questions.html

Read way down on this one for more info, don't quite get the pics but excellent advice on the pvl system at the bottom for some reason.
    http://www.pwcforum.com/polaris-jets...h-library.html

There is another page i printed off from some where that explains how to check the trigger coils.It sayz i should get under 25ohms,but i'm getting 2.1k ohms.
    Since we are both looking for cdi's ,share the knowledge with what you find for pricing. Going shopping for new.

Quote Originally Posted by twinstack1 View Post
    Can, you need to check out this http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15437
    especially the part in the 1st post that tells you why the ignition components go bad by outside sources i.e. battery chargers, spikes, ect. Right now, I think my mistake is not following the test procedures precislely. I get so frustrated that I start jumping around all over the place.

+1
    Try this
    Put lanyard in position lift off seat and use coin or spanner and bridge the start solenoid .Let me know what happens .(make sure there is no fuel smells ) and be certain when bridging the solenoid to stop sparks from bad connection .Do you have spark then ?

Bernie

Spark issues.

Usually if the plugs "unload" a single spark when you release the button, it's usually a stator. Of course you should do all the tests, but that's based on my experiences.

Regards,
    Randy
    Last edited by Watcon; 07-02-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information