Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

? for auto tech/tire guru`s:

in a vehicle with anti lok, rear anti lok, what will occur if you use taller tires in the rear on a rear wheel drive vehicle?...PR...

Might depend on the vehicle and abs system used, but typically I'd expect to see the yellow abs lamp illuminated and wheel speed sensor code(s) set, due to a mismatch between rear wheel speed and vehicle speed. If the abs lamp is illuminated, then the abs system is deactivated.

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    Might depend on the vehicle and abs system used, but typically I'd expect to see the yellow abs lamp illuminated and wheel speed sensor code(s) set, due to a mismatch between rear wheel speed and vehicle speed. If the abs lamp is illuminated, then the abs system is deactivated.
    crap.....

how about I match the taller rear tires but not as wide for the fronts as close as i can, how much margine do i have before the light comes on?...PR...

Well, typically the vehicle speed sensor is mounted on the transmission, but again it varies by vehicle, why don't you tell me the vehicle specifics, and I'll see what I can dig up on Mitchell on demand. It's a rear wheel abs only system, correct?

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    get a hypertech programer and put in your size tires and pump up the power while your there too

Well, typically the vehicle speed sensor is mounted on the transmission, but again it varies by vehicle, why don't you tell me the vehicle specifics, and I'll see what I can dig up on Mitchell on demand. It's a rear wheel abs only system, correct?
    I know this sounds funky but: the Nitto terra grapplers I have on my Nissan Xterra are plus one sized, to my surprise the taller nitto`s are making the nissan ping when rolling out and when light cruising in high gear (auto). I recently removed the aftermarket wheels and tires from the nissan and put them in the garage and installed the factory alloy`s back on. I was thinking about using the Nitto 285/60/18`s on the rear of my 2007 ford E-250 van with 18X10 american racing mohaves to match the 16" mohaves up front. I would have to increase the front tire from 245/75/16 (30.4 in) to 265/75/16 which is 31.6 in. The nitto`s are 31.38 tall, will the difference of .22 divided by 1/2 = .11 cause a problem? ...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by superduty View Post
    get a hypertech programer and put in your size tires and pump up the power while your there too
    dude, I get 15-16mpg now, I don`t think it will be any better re-flashed...PR...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    dude, I get 15-16mpg now, I don`t think it will be any better re-flashed...PR...

yea

check out superlift they have a speed kit that will make your speedo and everything read right

Your van uses an output shaft speed sensor which transmits a signal to the pcm based on pre-programmed axle ratio and tire size info. The rabs speed sensor is located on top of the differential. (btw, it is a high failure item on the Ford products, one of the first things to check for infinite resistance if you get an abs lamp lit) Anyhow, without modifying the tire size info in the pcm it'll be hard to do what you want without losing the abs functionality.

+1
    Your van uses an output shaft speed sensor which transmits a signal to the pcm based on pre-programmed axle ratio and tire size info. The rabs speed sensor is located on top of the differential. (btw, it is a high failure item on the Ford products, one of the first things to check for infinite resistance if you get an abs lamp lit) Anyhow, without modifying the tire size info in the pcm it'll be hard to do what you want without losing the abs functionality.

thats why you buy the programmer and you can change the tire size

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information