Snap goes the pump stud!

First of all I would like to say "Hi" this is my first post!!!

It was time to break the "cherry" after what just happened.

I was removing the pump to install the SS wear ring and install my new Solas prop. I started out ok and two of the pump locking nuts came off as expected. When I got to the bottom right nut it wouldn't budge more than a 1/8 of a turn. I figured the salt got to it or maybe they cross-threaded it at the factory. So I used some penetrating oil as I tried to work the nut on/off to try and get it to free up.

To make a long story short, I got the knuckle-buster of my life when the stud snapped. I examined the threads and it didn't appear that it was crossed threaded.

Anways, just thought I would share my experience and see if this happened to anyone else?

Also, big "thanks" to Jerry for turning my SC around so fast. I can't wait to try out the green wheel!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by whit33 View Post
    First of all I would like to say "Hi" this is my first post!!!

It was time to break the "cherry" after what just happened.

I was removing the pump to install the SS wear ring and install my new Solas prop. I started out ok and two of the pump locking nuts came off as expected. When I got to the bottom right nut it wouldn't budge more than a 1/8 of a turn. I figured the salt got to it or maybe they cross-threaded it at the factory. So I used some penetrating oil as I tried to work the nut on/off to try and get it to free up.

To make a long story short, I got the knuckle-buster of my life when the stud snapped. I examined the threads and it didn't appear that it was crossed threaded.

Anways, just thought I would share my experience and see if this happened to anyone else?

Also, big "thanks" to Jerry for turning my SC around so fast. I can't wait to try out the green wheel!!

Welcome to the fourm. Ride safe and watch ur pockets

that can be replaced! welcome to the board!...PR...

+1
    I had that happen on my '05 RXT- funny thing is... I had just put the pump on to test a prop, it went on like butta- no prob. the when I go to take it off...snap. And I knew it was locked up so I lubed it up and rocked it back and fourth trying to free it up- the thing was so hot when it finally snapped you would have thought I heated it with a torch.

Anyway... yeah- I had that happen. Welcome!

Thread Information