2000 SeaDoo XP Issue

Having some issues with my 2000 SeaDoo XP. I recently purchased it with approximately 25 hours on it. First run in the water about a month ago provided some hesitation in the throttle acceleration. It gradually improved over the course of the day and I changed spark plugs eliminating the problem and the ski ran strong.

I put it in the water last weekend. At full throttle it would run to about 3500 RPM, bog down a bit and die. Changed spark plugs again. Same results as before but occasionally it would break 3500 rpm rise on plane run good for about a second and fall flat on its face dead. During one of the attempts when it would break up on plane i pulled the choke lever and it remained on plane running good. pushed choke in and it would die. I stopped messing wit it right there in fear of burning up a cylinder.

Im guessing it is a clogged internal carb filter issue with old gas lines. I am new to this stuff and made an appointment with the dealership to repair. How hard would it be to fix this problem myself? And if i replaced the fuel lines should i remove and clean the fuel tank as well? If so does the motor have to be removed to pull the fuel tank out?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Fuel lines are ok on the 2000 models. Your carbs are just gunked up from sitting all these years with old fuel in them. You can remove and clean them with carb cleaner yourself if you are mechanically competent...no gaskets or rebuild kits necessary. Just carb cleaner and ambition...

Please give me first dibs if you decide to sell it!

To get to the back carb and filter do u have to take the carb loose so u can spin it a little to get to the screws to take the plate off.

The carb filter is under the plate on the front side of the carb correct?

I was able to get to the screws that hold the carbs on but wanted to make sure you could move the carbs around a little bit once the carb is off.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The carbs come off as an assembly, they stay hard-mounted to the mounting plate that connects them. The best way to get 951 carbs off is buy an 8mm 3/8" socket, and cut off and epoxy into the socket, a ball head 8mm allen about 2.5" long. Works like a champ...

FYI...the accelerator pump is going to be clogged and disassembly and spraying carb cleaner into the orifices is critical. All other jets in addition to the opposing side filter screens need to be blasted with carb cleaner. Removing the carbs from the engine is a must, for this to be done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanJ View Post
    To get to the back carb and filter do u have to take the carb loose so u can spin it a little to get to the screws to take the plate off.

The carb filter is under the plate on the front side of the carb correct?

I was able to get to the screws that hold the carbs on but wanted to make sure you could move the carbs around a little bit once the carb is off.

Thread Information