Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Need help with a 2001 Virage Tx

It just came home from the repair shop today and will not run when in the water. It runs GREAT on the trailer, but will not start or stay running once it hits the water. The repair shop was closed by the time the problem was discovered, so we could not call them.

Has anyone had this problem or have any idea what can be done to fix it???

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help that is offered.

+1
    Battery!!!!

+1
    Oh WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

You think it's the battery? It has a brand new battery and it starts first time very time when you take it out of the water, but I spose anything at this point is possible.

We were at the boat ramp for over an hour..
    put in IN the watet - no start at all.. not even the slightest turnover..
    pull it out and it starts right up..
    we did this two million times if we did it once.
    Then, we got really brilliant and started it out of the water before we backed it in. It died as soon as it got all the way into the water and would not restart... we pulled it right back out of the water and it started right up again. It's making us INSANE!

Thanks for the help and the very nice welcome.

+1
    Maybe check the cables etc.
    What usually happens is there is not enough current to fire the ignition system BUT the engine will turn over.
    Since yours does not turn over in the water and not even a click, I'm guessing maybe a loose cable?
    But be sure to triple check that battery, they are a huge issue when it comes to starting the domestic Polaris engine..

Is there possibly something in the works of the engine, once it gets into the water, that could also be causing some problem? It's just so freaking odd that it starts first time every time, over and over and over again, when it's on land, but dies instantly when it hits the water (when running during launch) and won't turn over at all while still in the water. Then you pull it right back out and it starts like it was brand new. It's almost as if it's sucking water up into the wrong place and fouling itself out, or something nuts like that. I'm female and will not deny that I'm an idiot when it comes to anything mechanical, but it just doesn't make sense that the battery only stops working proberly when the ski is afloat. Please don't think that I'm doubting your advice, especially since your knowledge far outweighs mine, I'm just so damned perplexed and frustrated beyond belief by the bizarrness of it all. Especially since the battery is brand spanking new and we've just paid over $1100 in repairs, TODAY!

+1
    When the boat goes into the water the impeller creates drag and of course it takes more current to spin the starter.
    That's why the engine idles at roughly 2000 out of the water and 1300 in the water.
    What repairs did you have done today, maybe that will head us in another direction?

OH, Okay...Now THAT makes some sense to me.. Thank you so much. Perhaps the new battery does not have a full charge, then?

the rapairs were several..I don't have the reciept in hand, but they replaced:

some kind of a burnt out module
    the spark plugs
    the battery/battery cover/battery bracket
    the regulator
    the bilge pump
    drained some bad gas

they also said the compression was excellent

AND

next week it goes back in for a new display (when it comes in) cause ours has gone insane
    Last edited by grammylinny; 07-01-2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: I typed callibration instead of compression, the first time... Hey, it started with a C! ..

it is a 1200cc, if that's a variable, here.

+1
    Hmmnn, these sound like the repairs of a crossed or improperly jumped battery....
    Anyway, I'd check the battery. Have you by any chance tried to attach a jumper box to see if it works? Watch for proper polarity when/if attaching cables.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information