Thread: keyway install!

keyway install!

Ok i got the flywheel off .. Mine was really stuck on there good it bent the 3 bolts that thread into the flywheel from the puller! Anyhow after i got it apart i put my key in the way it should be and i put some loctite on the tapered snout and slid the flywheel back on slowly lining up the opening with the keyway .. So i put the crank bolt back in and my impact gun will only go so far ( it is kinda weak) so i break out the socket wrench and a breaker bar and goto town and this thing was really being a bitch going down .. Then all of a sudden it breaks loose and im like wtf ! The bolt broke .. i did get it out but im wondering if i just have a extra tight fit flywheel or if im doing something wrong! Any help would be nice

thanks

+1
    Impact gun......breaker bar! The flywheel torques @ 60 lbs.You need to use a torque wrench.

I am confused, I am up give me a ring 713-875-1812

You forgot to put a 24" pipe on the end of the breaker bar . Seriously, like was said, you're way over-torquing and you need to use a torque wrench.

+1
    I don't think it was overtorquing...he said it wasnt all the way in...I honestly had the same problem with mine. I snapped a bolt off yet I could twist it out with the tip of my finger. When talking with Rich he said since the bolts are pre-stressed you will need to replace them or he highly recommends that you do. You'll be down for a day or two however its as easy as ordering a 12 dollar bolt and calling it a day.

-MJE-

+1
    I clean the snout and the inside of the flywheel prior to installation with scotch brite. The Loctite should go on the bolt not the snout. The reason the bolt breaks is from over tightening it, sure you can take it out with your fingers it does not bottom out. use a mallet or dead blow hammer to seat the flywheel prior to tightening and torque to reccomended specs.

Yup a tourque wrench is the way to go.Not wise to use an impact gun on this bolt( i remembered this right after i snapped a flywheel bolt) He He.Also the bolt is not prestressed.Yes they are easy to break.Yup the loctite goes on the bolt and not the snout.
    You have to becarefull when installing the bolts for the puller into the flywheel as some stators are right behind the flywheel and you can drive them into it. Making for bad news.good luck

Quote Originally Posted by osidebill View Post
    I clean the snout and the inside of the flywheel prior to installation with scotch brite. The Loctite should go on the bolt not the snout. The reason the bolt breaks is from over tightening it, sure you can take it out with your fingers it does not bottom out. use a mallet or dead blow hammer to seat the flywheel prior to tightening and torque to reccomended specs.

I have always recommended replacing this bolts, ever since SeeYa broke one. Its never happened to me but one related experience was enough to make me do it different. Never reuse a Flywheel bolt or Crank/Intermediate shaft coupler

+1
    sad part is literally when I was on the phone with Rich during my keyway change...my buddy was out working on the skis and he jumped to conclusions, tightened a bolt and it snapped off. He came walking towards me while I was on the phone with a sad look on his face as Rich said.."yea I hope you plan to replace those bolts"

6 of one half dozen of the other, only broke the one flywheel bolt ever and it was caused by sheer stupidity.(saw impact gun and got a crazy glint in my eye)But gotz lots of yamaha and kawi parts so no big deal.
    So why do you recommend replacing the shaft couplers?They really should not wear as that is the job of the rubber piece in between?

Quote Originally Posted by Fercho View Post
    I have always recommended replacing this bolts, ever since SeeYa broke one. Its never happened to me but one related experience was enough to make me do it different. Never reuse a Flywheel bolt or Crank/Intermediate shaft coupler

Thread Information