Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad Fuel?

Bad Fuel?

I'm not mechanically inclined... would like your input. I have a relatively new ultra 250 (15 hours). About 2 weeks ago it started running very rough at idle when the engine was cold... occasionally dying. I would have to hold the throttle slightly open just to keep it running. After about 15 minutes... it would run normal with good accelration and top end around 63 via GPS. Over time it got worse and I took it to the dealer. They said no error messages on the computer and told me I must have water in the fuel. I picked it up and added a fuel dryer (HEET) and ran a tank of gas through it. Problem did not resolve, so I got a hand pump and a fuel hose and pumped the gas tank dry till only air came thru the hose. I put 10 gallons of fresh gas in it... it is now worse than ever... very rough idle, wont run over 30 mph with full throttle. Called dealer... mechanic still thinks bad fuel is in the system... any thoughts or ideas? If you know a reliable mechanic in Dallas Fort Worth area please let me know.

check your plugs

Plugs and make sure your oil level is correct at the same time Plenty of threads that point to this, visit Skip's site about oil level if you haven't addressed it already

What do I need to do to check the plugs?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    another set of plugs

Can I get plugs at an auto parts store or do I have do go to the dealer? Are they simple unscrew and screw in new one or is any expertise needed?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BRuss View Post
    Can I get plugs at an auto parts store or do I have do go to the dealer? Are they simple unscrew and screw in new one or is any expertise needed?
    Never try to remove a plug from a hot engine. You'll pull threads from the head and damage it...
    I would check before you start ripping into it. Get the proper plug # and find/locate the plugs before you remove them from the ski.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by BRuss View Post
    I'm not mechanically inclined... would like your input. I have a relatively new ultra 250 (15 hours). About 2 weeks ago it started running very rough at idle when the engine was cold... occasionally dying. I would have to hold the throttle slightly open just to keep it running. After about 15 minutes... it would run normal with good accelration and top end around 63 via GPS. Over time it got worse and I took it to the dealer. They said no error messages on the computer and told me I must have water in the fuel. I picked it up and added a fuel dryer (HEET) and ran a tank of gas through it. Problem did not resolve, so I got a hand pump and a fuel hose and pumped the gas tank dry till only air came thru the hose. I put 10 gallons of fresh gas in it... it is now worse than ever... very rough idle, wont run over 30 mph with full throttle. Called dealer... mechanic still thinks bad fuel is in the system... any thoughts or ideas? If you know a reliable mechanic in Dallas Fort Worth area please let me know.
    Your dealer is a Lazy A_ _ Hat.
    They are claiming bad gas because they are to lazy to find the problem.
    F/N dealers suck. I have never had a good experience with dealers service departments

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Monster View Post
    Your dealer is a Lazy A_ _ Hat.
    They are claiming bad gas because they are to lazy to find the problem.
    F/N dealers suck. I have never had a good experience with dealers service departments
    Yea dealers suck....Took me 35 minutes to get an oil filter from them, also I had to get the part number for the service manual FOR THEM! I thought they knew what the ultra 250x was since it was sitting right on the floor next to them, but....He couldn't find it in the book, cause he was looking at Suzuki motorcycles. I said it was a Kawasaki. Then he couldn't find it cause he didn't know it was a jetski....That was the service manager....

It's the spark plugs

BRuss:

I'm in Dallas, too. Just went through the exact same problem with mine (look at my posts). My U250X went from a slight miss to rough idle to not starting to dead.

Today, I was finally able to change the spark plugs. (it would not start with the orginal NGK PMR9B's. I was able to get a similar NGK plug of CR9EIX with is the Iridium plug, as opposed to the doublr platinum. As soon as I hit the stated it fired right up and ran like a champ! The CR9EIX's are like $6.95 each and the PMR9B's are like $15.95 each or upwards of $25.00 at the dealers. Don't forget to gap between .024" and .028".

If you feel you must go to a Kaw dealer in Dallas, I highly recommend Sammy White's Kawasaki City in Irvine on Irvine Blvd. They are a high volume Kaw dealer, been there for like 30 years and I've had good luck with them. Ask for Phil in sales and tell him Steve with the Ultra 250 sent you. Phil is a good guy and has never tried to rip me off....I've bought 3 Jet Skis since 1989 from Sammy White's and their prices are some of the lowest in the nation.

If you have further questions on your spark plugs, IM me and I'll give you my phone number.

Change the plugs! Easy fix and not worth goofing with the dealer.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information