Oil Pump Question on 99 Genesis

Is it possible to adjust the oil pump on a 99 genesis DFI to pump more oil into the crank case? How do you verify that the pump is pumping oil?

Ok... 2 questions.

+1
    Vegasratt
    Best way to see if its pumping is to have the ski running
    either in or out of the water and lift up the arm on the oil pump to the top ,about 1' 1/2 and give it a good rev .You should get a fair increase in oil smoke from the ski exhaust.I advance the setting on the oil pump so that the mark is about a width of the mark in front of where it should be .(there is a mark on the lever and it should match up with a pimple on the oil pump housing ) .While you are there take off the cable from the throttle body to the oil pump lever and pull it through both ways to check cable condition .I have had them nearly completely broken through and still look good from a quick glance .Down to 1 strand left on one occasion .
    Got one ski with 400 +hrs and pump still good .
    You will soon know if the pump is not working i can assure you .On a 800 I ,you will get about 1 and 1/2 minutes and it will grind to a halt .It will start after its cooled but only go at about 1/4 speed and get real hot in the engine area .My local forgot to hook up pumpline after fixing engine mount proplem (in early days )

Hope this helps

Bernie

Thanks for the info Bernie, I just got this motor back from being rebuilt and I want to make sure I don't kill it because of something like a bad oil pump.

+1
    Vegasratt
    Have you bled the system through to the nipples on the block and venturies?

Bernie

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Vegasratt
    Have you bled the system through to the nipples on the block and venturies?

Bernie
    How do you do that ? With a drill ?

+1
    I use a drill with a peice of hose in the end .Spin it with the drill .Take the longest hose off first and bleed your way back .Put the pump back on and pour some oil down the Venturies into the engine (don't fill it up ).This will give you some lube till it is all through .Clean the screen from the reseviour as it can easily get blocked befor eyou start the process and bleed it to the pump .when you have done it all start up ski and pull the lever on the pump right up and rev the ski a few times and it should cloud smoke as you work the lever .
    If it is not DI you can premix a bit of fuel as insurance

Cheers
    Bernie

Hey Bernie, I have bled the system up to the fuel pump but not to the throttle bodies yet. I had thought about using a drill but wasn't sure how to get it connected, good idea with the hose. I totally forgot about the oil filter... i think i will change that while i am at it. And if it weren't a DI i would premix and be done with it. If i make is so that the oil pump puts out just a bit more oil into the motor will that mess up the fuel/air mix ration? My guess is no, as long as i don't over do it.

+1
    No it is seperate from the a/fuel.You will see the line up marks on the body and the lever.I give it a lines width advance .This gives it more oil and alows for the cable stretch also

Cheers

Bernie

Thanks for you help Bernie..... i am going to take her out tonight and start the break in process... i will let you know how it goes..

Thread Information