Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel gauge not linear?

The gauge on my 2007 Speedster 215 seem to behave weird. I already went though the whole tank and the gauge displayed the level going down, so I know it works. But today, I left with a full tank and rode for about 3 hours half throttle, and it still shows full (all segments still show).
    It looks like the gauge displays full for about the first half of the tank capacity, then starts going down. Is this normal? Couldn't find anything in the manual that says anyting about that...

my 07 speedster 200 gauge is crap also. Stays on full forever, then quickly drops to 1/4 tank. At that point I know I went through 20 gallons of fuel. Basically makes me feel like the 40 gallon gas tank is worthless since you cant tell where your at past 20 gallons.

I did notice on the top of the fuel tank where the 2 fuel pickups are, both are the same and one has a plug not used... I'm assuming this is the gas gauge sensor and there's no need to have it plugged in for both pickups. If it is the tank sensor, i'm curious if the unused one is more accurate.

Ahhhh, I feel better now, I'm not the only hallucinating out there. I thought at first it must have been too much fresh air or something

More seriously, has anyone else experienced the same thing, and is there a way to fix it? It's like the gauge only shows you the coutn down of the bottom of the tank. And, man, when it starts dropping, it drops faster and faster!

Nice timing on this post, I just was going to post this today!

I got my 2007 Speedster 150 (215hp) at the end of May. Always filled it up when the guage showed 1/2 tank. Yesterday I was on the river with 1/2 tank, then it went down to 3 bars so I started heading back. Then it hit 2 bars then one bar in about 10 minutes! I had to hit a dock and walk to a gas station to get a 2g gas can! 2gallons brought it from 1 flashing bar to 3 bars, meaning each "bar" represents only about 1 gallon, and with only 8-9 bars total on the gage that leaves 1/2 the tank unaccounted for! I thought maybe it took a while to move, then it drops to 1/4 tank quickly, then takes forever to move again, but that's not the case apparently.

As mentioned I can drive all day without the gage moving, but now I know that when it does move I'm at less than 1/2 tank so I'd better get a move on!

Yeah, I think the gas gauge runs through the same logic as the hour meter . At least the tank is translucent, so if I really need to know how much is left, I can open the hatch and see the fuel level. I've mentioned this before, but my two main problems concerning the gas tank are:

(1) It's too small; 21 gallons (for the 150) is not enough to cruise to a destination 20 or 30 minutes away, raise hell for a couple of hours, and have enough fumes to get back home. The tank should be 26+ gallons, and there's plenty of room for a larger tank.

(2) I ride mine like a jetski (i.e. lots of turns & spins), and when I get close to half a tank or less, the LOW FUEL warning blinks constantly. It needs some averaging logic to keep the gauge more consistent.

I've found these 4-TECs to be relatively fuel efficient just cruising at 5000rpm; it's amazing that just adding 3K to that RPM seems to use 3X as much gas.

-Scott
    '07 Speedster 150 SCIC

Same problem is present on our 07 Utopia with analog gauges. Gauge will sit at full for long time then when the needle finally starts to move she moves quick.

The gas tank is in kindof a V shape and obviously holds more gas in the top half than in the bottom half..

all gas tanks seem to read empty when they still have several gallons left.. This is to make sure you can make it home because you become paronoid.

I know when my tank hits the middle i have refilled it and used around 10-11 gallons so the guage is very close..

When the light comes on i still have 3-4 gallons.. (this isnt much different than in a car) it allows you to make it to the next gas stop or your trailer..

yea but when i'm at 1/8 tank, I can see having like 5-8 gallons left... But I filled it up there the other night and it calculates out to still having 18 gallons of gas left. Thats way off.

Can't believe BRP does not have a software fix for that!!! Even if the reading is completely wacky, you should still be able to match each value read by the sensor to the volume in the tank. That's pretty basic...

BTW, when did the fuel gauge become digital? Did the analog gauges have the same problem?

'07 is the first year they've been digital on the boats... but it's just the same instrument panel from the skis, so the readout isn't new. Maybe they used the same sensor as on the skis too, and it's not working well with the larger tank.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information