Thread: wiring issue???

wiring issue???

took my 95 sl 750 out this weekend ran great. put it on the trailer this morning, drove home i took the cover off the seat and noticed the stator wiring all burnt up??? i dont know what happend but it doesnt look like the wires are burn all the way to the stator just under the flame arrestor. it doesnt look like any of the other wires are burnt just the stator wires. is it possible for flames to go past the flame arrestor?? or does anybody have any idea why it did this. trying to find out what happend. any imput would help thanks Ryan

+1
    Check to see the length of the shorted wire. It may be a bad stator, could be a poor ground and it tried to ground through the stator, maybe a pinched wire was shorted to ground.
    Try to find the the longest most damaged wire and let us know what color it is.......was.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Silly question, but why are your wires running by the flame arrestor? They usually run around the other side of the engine. Anyway, check the specs for the stator with an ohmeter. If all is OK, maybe just electrical tape the wires (insulate from each other) and tuck them into a wire loom.

looked into it alittle more today and split the electrical box to find the ground wire insulation burnt upi a few places. all the others in the box look good. what doesnt make sense is that all the wires are burnt up. from the box about 1 foot down twards the stator after that all the wires look good. the reason the wires were no on the side of the hull was because i rebuild the ski and i burnt a fuse in the box because of a bad mfd. i uncliped the wires off the hull so the box was easily excessable. havent checked the readings on the stator yet but that is next.

+1
    Did you insulate the clipped wires with waterproof connectors? Maybe a little water in the hull shorted the wires? Or check for a sound connection on the ground cable.

ive ran the ski for 2 years after the rebuild so i dont think it has anything to do with waterproof connectors. there is no connectors outside of the box and when i opened the box it was dry.

+1
    Does the ground cable have a sound connection?

+1
    So the black wire from the stator was melted?
    If so, it tells you the electrical system is trying to ground through the stator, it get hot enough it will melt or weld the insulation. I would scrape the paint away and make sure the conection is sound on the engine.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Failure mechanism for toasted/burned black stator wire

There is something about these toasted Black stator harness wires that doesn't quite make sense (to me, anyway).

When I first started reading about it, I thought that the problem was caused by a poor battery ground cable at the engine block.

Since we understand (I think) that the ONLY grounding point for everything inside the electrical box is the black stator ground wire, which is in turn is grounded to the engine block inside the stator housing, it doesn't make sense (to me) that the 'burned black stator wire failure' scenario is a poor battery negative cable connection to the block, or a poor stator ground connection. Generally, poor connections reduce current flow, not increase it.

Recent reports suggest that the failure can be caused by the plastic battery cover being missing, out of position, or worn through, allowing the positive battery post to touch the metal shell of the electrical box.

Such contact would instantly cause a heavy current (short circuit current) to flow through the electrical box casing, into the black wire harness, and down to the stator, where it connects to the engine block. The current then flows through the heavy negative battery cable to complete the (short) circuit.

This short circuit current certainly would be strong enough to burn up the black stator wire.

Another possible scenario is that the battery charging coil (Red/Purple or Yellow) shorts to the black wire/ground (either inside the stator, or inside the electrical box). This could also allow high short circuit current to flow, but would be expected to damage different wires than just the black wire.

Comments?

Thread Information