Thread: 95 750 motor in a 92 SL650
07-01-2007, 09:20 PM #1
95 750 motor in a 92 SL650
Hey guys it runs had a nice ride today. Cold as hell but fun anyway. So here is the ski and some more questions. I had a 92 SL 650 and bought a 95 750 motor and put it in. I am using the 92 cdi box 92 dry pipe and 92 jet drive complete but the whole motor carbs to exhaust is 95 750.
1. How fast should this thing be I got about 38-40MPH on GPS
2. I cleaned the carbs and the rubber diaphrams where real dirty and kind of stiff. I used the ones out of the 650 carbs. Will that hurt anything are they the same.
3. It doesnt plane off very quickly should I look into a different impeller
4. Should I replace the whole jet drive with something newer with power trim Will that also make it faster
5. What about changing out the CDI box am I lacking some power because of that
6. After riding for a couple hours my plugs look kind of black I havent looked at the wash but I thought the dry pipe on the 750 would lean it out any ideas
7. OK biggest problem I seem to have a leak I think it is coming out of the bearing looking thing on the shaft there is a tube coming up out of it. It seems to only leak when I am really getting on it. Idling around it seems OK. I went today and it wouldnt plane out I looked and it was half full of water. Is there a seal or something that I should replace or check.
8. How do you check the RPMS without the MFD I want to try and tell if I am running enough or if the impeller is to small etc but its tough.
07-01-2007, 09:31 PM #2
07-01-2007, 09:41 PM #3
- Join Date
- Oct 2006
- Cleveland OH
07-01-2007, 09:53 PM #4
- Join Date
- Aug 2006
- Pittsfield, MA
The safest / easiest way to go would be to add a 94 or 95 750 jet pump and impeller and add the wet pipe and be done with it. But of coarse if you are a horsepower junky / speed freak. You need to search the posts about people adding the dry pipe to 750' and 780's. You def need a newer pump, a 97 PRO CDI, an 11/17 impeller and big big jets. And nobody can tell ya what size jets yet, cause most of them try the entire Pro intake system, reeds, manifold and carbs.
07-02-2007, 07:36 AM #5
What year and model pump should I be looking for? I found an end on Ebay that has the power trim cup on it but it is just the end or nozzle, would this improve my existing pump or buy it just to have the trim and add it to a newer pump http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6335443&rd=1,1
Here is the trim motor on Ebay as well.
Here is a newer style pump too I think it is the correct year Maybe I should buy all three and have everything
07-02-2007, 07:44 AM #6
You're looking for the longer pump assembly like that of a 96 and newer, it will have another 4 inch extension added to the photo you have.
07-02-2007, 09:50 AM #7
So the newer short pump is not better? I will try and see if I can find a long one but what else will I need to make it work driveshaft etc. I thought a short one but newer and trim would be a noticeable gain.
07-02-2007, 06:56 PM #8
OK some new problems cropped up today.
1. Not enough power to plane out with 2 people. I know I am a big guy but I thought it would still carry my stepdaughter and I. I am 265 she is about 130 it felt like it was cavitating. I checked the impeller and it is not damaged but some very small knicks what else can I like for?
2. OK I pulled the bearing out that seals the shaft off it sounded like it was making a noise. I thought it was supposed to have a grease fitting instead it has a line and a nozzle fitting Is there a bearing or something in there that is supposed to turn it looks like a bronze guide rather than a bearing. See picture below. Do I need to upgrade to a greasable one or am I missing something.
07-02-2007, 07:12 PM #9
07-02-2007, 07:24 PM #10
I am glad someone knew what it was I am looking to get a whole new one. I couldnt figure out from Polaris what the heck the parts where I also talked to a guy is the shoe the thing on the bottom like a grate? The seals are shot in that bearing thing too could that leak air in? How do I seal up some of that stuff?
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By cubsfan2516 in forum Polaris ClassifiedsReplies: 44Last Post: 06-14-2009, 08:17 PM
By BigDaddyPT in forum Kawasaki How To & FAQsReplies: 3Last Post: 09-28-2008, 09:20 AM
By cubsfan2516 in forum Polaris Open DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 08-02-2008, 07:32 PM
By comgod33 in forum Polaris How To & FAQsReplies: 1Last Post: 07-12-2007, 12:03 PM
By comgod33 in forum Polaris How To & FAQsReplies: 10Last Post: 03-15-2007, 08:49 PM