Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

wear ring damage

when I installed my solas last fall my wear ring had a small spot 1/2 in. that looked like it had been chipped away, how much would something like that effect acceleration or top speed? I have 35 hrs on it and only four or five with the solas installed.

+1
    Did it look like this?

Your wear ring should really be replaced. Any wear at all reduces performance. You may want to think about upgrading to a stainless steel wear ring.

+1
    Jerry - I'm not really sure how they happen, but I've read that nicks in the wear ring could occur just by the impeller itself hitting it often after modding the ski. If that's true, then what happens when you install a stainless wear ring? Does the impeller still hit and what gives? The ring or the impeller?

+1
    good question! I haven't had an issue yet and have about 16 hours on this ss wear ring, but you can bet if the impeller does strike the wear ring it's going to be damaged.

you need to do the "double bearing" mod to the pump or the impeller will hit and destroy the impeller or SS wearring most likely both

+1
    Lawracing, did Skat Trak do your double bearing mod?

+1
    That picture you posted of the OE wear ring damage, it looks as if a bigger piece was eventually taken off just by the composite nature of the plastic and the actual area striken was probably smaller (guessing). I'm also going to guess that the SS will just dull the sharpness of the impeller and gap the clearance that will hopefully not be enough to cause any loss or cavitation.

16 hours is quite some time knowing how much you've been doing and how hard you're riding. I assume that you have the double bearing mod. Is the double bearing mod included in the SS and Skat shortening mod that was mentioned for about $500?

No, but I spoke with Mark about it (the drive shaft deflection from modded engines). I'm going with the magnum pump and RR drive shaft and a three blade prop. You should atleast do the double bearing if that drive shaft lets go it is gonna reak havok on the engine.

Greenhulk, I thought you had already done the double bearing?

+1
    lawracing - what to you estimate the cost for the magnum pump and 3 blade set up?

Quote Originally Posted by rx4pain
    That picture you posted of the OE wear ring damage, it looks as if a bigger piece was eventually taken off just by the composite nature of the plastic and the actual area striken was probably smaller (guessing). I'm also going to guess that the SS will just dull the sharpness of the impeller and gap the clearance that will hopefully not be enough to cause any loss or cavitation.

16 hours is quite some time knowing how much you've been doing and how hard you're riding. I assume that you have the double bearing mod. Is the double bearing mod included in the SS and Skat shortening mod that was mentioned for about $500?

i have always had kawasaki skis in the past wich have SS wearrings if you wear the tips of the impeller and scar the ring you will have loss in speed and cavitation. and going by how sensitve these rxp's seem to be with the plastic wear ring I think it would be a huge issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information