Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    top end rebuild...? 2001 1200PV

    Hey guys... I'm looking at buying a 2001 XLT1200. It has ~110hours on it.

    From what I've seen on here, after 100 hours you should do a carb and topend rebuild.

    What all is involved in a topend rebuild and what would the parts cost?

    If performance parts can be used and don't cost a lot more, I'd go with them.


  2. #2
    My son (mohawk man) jeffsntx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Belton TX
    Posts
    2,598
    +1
    1
    You really cant base a rebuild on how many hours are on the ski. If the carbs have never been rebuilt it is probably well over due for it. Check the compression and if its good run it.

  3. #3
    Thats what I plan on doing...

    I'll do the carbs for sure...

    I'm just trying to look into the future at what it's going to involve/cost.

    I plan on doing some mods anyways (impeller, dplate, ride plate, intake grate, PV clips).

    at 110hours (in saltwater), I'm sure it will need a rebuild eventually!

  4. #4
    enforcer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx.
    Posts
    686
    +1
    22

    Thumbs up

    BlitzK, get the cat out asap!. Definately go with the D-plate and chip and if you like the sound go loud with the free-flow.The PV clips to get R the wave-eaters........You can call Carl @ Island Racing he has them.If U haven't done so allready, do the basics...... Pump plug kit,the above info. as well as a Solas Concord 13-19....... that should get U better top end as well as better acceleration....... but definately get an intake grate!

  5. #5
    My son (mohawk man) jeffsntx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Belton TX
    Posts
    2,598
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzK View Post
    Thats what I plan on doing...

    I'll do the carbs for sure...

    I'm just trying to look into the future at what it's going to involve/cost.

    I plan on doing some mods anyways (impeller, dplate, ride plate, intake grate, PV clips).

    at 110hours (in saltwater), I'm sure it will need a rebuild eventually!
    A rebuild just depends on what is damaged when you tear it apart. I guess the best case senario would be:
    Hone cylinders
    New pistons, pins, bearings, clips
    Gaskets
    Be sure to check crank when disassembled

    Worst case would be:
    Bore/plate
    New pistons, pins, bearings, clips
    Gaskets and seals
    Crank (if needed, check lateral play when disassembled)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
    BlitzK, get the cat out asap!. Definately go with the D-plate and chip and if you like the sound go loud with the free-flow.The PV clips to get R the wave-eaters........You can call Carl @ Island Racing he has them.If U haven't done so allready, do the basics...... Pump plug kit,the above info. as well as a Solas Concord 13-19....... that should get U better top end as well as better acceleration....... but definately get an intake grate!
    Thanks,

    Yeah on any XL1200 Dplate, and waveeater's are an ASAP to-do. I forgot the plug kit on my list of mods, I will do that too.

    I'm not 100% sure I'm buying this one, but I will own either an XL1200Ltd, or XLT1200 soon! I've been doing a lot of reading/research for the past couple of months.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    A rebuild just depends on what is damaged when you tear it apart. I guess the best case senario would be:
    Hone cylinders
    New pistons, pins, bearings, clips
    Gaskets
    Be sure to check crank when disassembled

    Worst case would be:
    Bore/plate
    New pistons, pins, bearings, clips
    Gaskets and seals
    Crank (if needed, check lateral play when disassembled)
    OK, lets say its the "best case" senario... What should I expect to pay to have the cyls honed? and the cost of new pistons/parts?

    I could/would probably do all the work myself.

    Thanks!

  8. #8
    My son (mohawk man) jeffsntx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Belton TX
    Posts
    2,598
    +1
    1
    Call a local machine shop to see what they would charge to hone your cylinders. I would use nothing but OEM pistons, pins, etc. You can get those prices from boats.net.

  9. #9
    JacRae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ravena NY
    Posts
    329
    Whatever you do , dont try to hone the cylinders yourself, they are nikasil plated. When I did my top end, I just made sure the cylinders were in good shape & assembled them without honing. Everything worked out great. Just my .02

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas City, Texas
    Posts
    1,249
    +1
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsntx View Post
    You really cant base a rebuild on how many hours are on the ski. If the carbs have never been rebuilt it is probably well over due for it. Check the compression and if its good run it.
    I'm not really seeing a reason for freshening up the top end either. Yamaha's are known for their reliability, and I cannot see a rebuild after 110 hours.... at least not on a stocker.

    Now if you had high compression, advanced timming, and full racing conditions type riding for 110 hours I could see a case for a top end rebuild. It may be good up to that point, but for sure you would not make it through a 2nd season and you would have to go into a repair mode at the worst possible time.

    If you choose to modify by going with higher compression and advanced timing, it makes sense to "freshening up" the top end. If you did not, then it could potentially fail prematurely at the weakest points.

    "Check compression, and if it is good run it" on a stocker sounds like good advice to me. Make your hull mods and you will be happy as it sits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2001 virage top end rebuild and 97 sl700 starting problem
    By haar19 in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2009, 01:38 PM
  2. few questions about top end rebuild kits for 1050
    By rbridges in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 12:23 PM
  3. '96 SL780 top end rebuild
    By repoman in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 12:49 AM
  4. '96 SL780 top end rebuild
    By repoman in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-08-2007, 09:47 PM
  5. RXDI top end rebuild
    By bow tie klr in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 08:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •