Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2000 SLX 1200 Won't Stay Running

Newby here! I was unsuccessful in finding the answer to my problem.

I want to buy a 2000 SLX 1200 that presently won't stay running. Present owner has taken it to a non-Polaris dealer (there aren't a lot of them in my area) and all they wanted to do was R & R parts until something fixed the prob.

The engine will run fine and then stall. I was told that the problem is either the dash (MFD?), which I think I see on elsewhere GH that this does not affect the operation of the engine OR it's the computer. Polaris says the computer is discontinued.

Price is $1,000 and it comes with a nice one-place trailer. I know the owner and he is meticulous with his toys but is tired of this machine. He has two others anyway.

Advice??? Should I buy? Could it be the computer? Can I get a new computer if it's needed?

Thanks.

+1
    craig, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

Have you verified you lose spark?
    How long does it take to die once it's running?

+1
    At this moment, I do not know a lot about the problem--just what the owner told me. I plan to do some quick trouble-shooting and if I can't see the problem I know of a shop that is recommended by Polaris about an hour from my house. They said they would do a diagnostic test for $95 and this would include a compression check. That just might be the best $95 I've ever spent.

I'll update as soon as I have something.

Thanks.

+1
    Something very quick/easy to check...the idle set screw on the front of the carbs. One, is it still there...may have come off. Two, is it turned in so it's at least pushing on the throttle plate...try turning it to keep the engine running. Should idle at around 1200-1300rpms in the water.

+1
    Update: Just picked-up the SLX 1200 from the dealer. The MFD was junk and was draining the battery. Two previous dealers the present owner took the machine to (non-Polaris repair shops) had made the problems worse rather than helping. One had installed a toggle-switch by the battery where a circuit breaker should have stayed. This would help the machine when it was shut-off but would still allow the MFD to drain the battery while running (the battery was junk as well). Other than removing and replacing the toggle switch with a breaker, unplugging the MFD and replacing the battery with a new one the only thing required was some minor wire repairs and terminal replacement. The verdict was that the charging system/battery would not give the ignition system what it required (the dealer said this system requires a battery in tip-top shape).

So for less than $200 it SHOULD be running fine. I will surely check this out this weekend on the lake.

Thanks.

+1
    How did you fair??

+1
    Well, the problem the previous owner had (engine cut-out after running some time) did not happen to me. I rode the machine quite a bit over the course of three different days and it did not die once. The only problem I am having is that it takes 40 minutes to an hour to warm up and run at WOT. Prior to running that long, it seems like whenever too much throttle is applied it appears to hit a rev-limiter. I do not know if this is exactly what is happening but I say this because when I hit a wave and the machine even remotely comes out of the water (and spins too fast) it seems like a rev-limiter shuts-down the engine. The engine does not die but RPM's are drastically cut as well as power. This happens whenever the machine comes out of the water (even when warmed-up) as well as whenever too much throttle is applied when ran less than 40-60 min. I thought I'd try a new set of plugs and see if that helps.

Any other ideas? Is there a thermostat? It almost seems like a thermostat is stuck open.

Other than the warm-up problem (which is actually a bit of a problem as I could see myself not riding as much because of the time required to warm-up the engine) the machine is unbelievable! I thought I had been on fast bikes and the like but this thing feels like it will rip my arms off! I am looking forward to the first time I can get out of bed at 6 AM when the water is glass and see just what this thing will do. To this point, I have not really been able to see just what the machine will do due to rough lake water conditions.

I will need to get a new MFD--or get mine repaired. There is water condensation on the inside of mine (it's unhooked now because it was draining the battery). Is it possible for someone to repair my MFD?

+1
    Hmm, I'm watching this thread because my 2000 SLX has the same symptoms, only not so bad. Been doing this since I got it, 4 years ago. Takes about 10 min to warm up, and if you give it too much throttle it does a little stutter (kinda like a motorcycle rev limiter). I spent a bit of time looking for a fix, never found it, and then my SL had way worse problems....

Performance on these is great! I've seen 63-64mph on GPS, and all I have is an aftermarket prop and a set of Tau Ceti flame arrestors. (at least they look like Tau Ceti, but they say "Polaris Performance" on them, made of carbon fiber)

+1
    Your MFD can be fixed by a forum member with the screen name Wetherby (Del)...send him a PM and he'll take care of ya. Not having the MFD hooked up may be the problem to your warm up issue as that definitely is not normal.

+1
    I wanted to give an update on my SLX 1200. I figured-out the warm-up problem (actually the dealer figured it out). The thermostat only closes when the engine is at idle. I was starting it up and trying to warm-up the engine using the throttle. Now that this is figured-out, I run the machine at idle for about three to five minutes (hillbilly style--tied to my dock). The machine is perfectly content to accept WOT after this warm-up period. There has not been one studder since I started warming-up the machine like this.

The MFD is a 12 pin and the member mentioned above was not really keen about working on the 12 pins. My dealer had one in-stock and I bought it (I can't bring myself to tell how much I paid for it).

All is well with my new toy now. Thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information