+1

Raider & GP guys.......

If you have a missing or broken intake grate bolt (even though the GP has eight) replace it ASAP to avoid the intake duct from cracking. Last summer when I started filling in holes, I snapped a head off one of the bolts when I was making sure they were all snug before I started filling. To remove the remaining of the bolt I would have to remove the grate which would not have been fun with all the 5200 that it was sealed with. I was trying to get back on the water that afternoon so I just filled it in.

Well, now about a year later it bit me in the ass. Sunday Morning I noticed my rpms were down about 170, and it felt slow. When we got to land, I reached my hand down under to feel the intake grate and it was hanging down on one side about a half inch. We rolled it over on its side and all three bolts on that side were broke. So when I get home I pull the grate off and inspect the impeller duct. It has a crack in it at the very back. I will take some pictures. So now I need an impeller duct (the grate is not damaged). The moral to this story is eventually it will catch up with you and cause more problems, a cat can only cover up shit for so long, eventually the litter needs changing.

Damn sorry to hear that man.
    Im glad to hear that you didnt get hurt when it went, going 60+ and taking a dive is no fun.

+1
    It was a little choppy and I noticed it was hooking up good, (the grate was really scooping) but felt slow and the RPM's were down. Me and Fullboogie had just ridden each others ski's. It happened on the way back and I am glad because we made about a 14 mile ride round trip. He had the Sleeper stretched out on the way there.

I pulled the pump tonight and checked the impeller clearance, all is good there. This time with the new intake duct, I am going to install the grate to it on the bench. This will allow me to put the Magnum Steel exactly where it needs to be between the grate and duct and make everything easier for sanding and dremel work. I will take some pics. All I have left now is to finish pulling the old duct out (sealed with 5200). It's coming, just takes time & patience.

+1
    A pic of the crack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture012.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	30018  

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    DAM dude! that is a nasty crack. I found my grate loose the other day. definately robs speed. I guess all 6 bolts are there for a reason.

Damn, those japanese are tricky.....glad nobody got hurt. That's a sure fire recipe for disaster. Just a reminder to check everything, before every ride no matter how small or seemingly inconsequential. Reminds me of an old saying I got a lot from my dad...."how come you never have time to do it right, but you always have time to go back and fix it?"
    Mike

+1
    Im just glad I rode all day Saturday without any problems. A bunch of us were riding each others ski's and having a good time. RIDEALLDAY got 68.5 out of it on Saturday. While everything is apart, I may grind on my pump & ride plate to allow for more angle on the plate. If I bevel the front of the rideplate, I can come down a tad more in the front. This incident will give me a chance to find more speed since everything has to come apart.

"how come you never have time to do it right, but you always have time to go back and fix it?"

Exactly, I have nothing to blame but myself.
    Last edited by 97GPSLEEPER; 07-03-2007 at 08:56 AM.

+1
    I looked at the grate closely this evening. It is not cracked but has a huge twist in it. I would have thought it would have some cracks in it from this twist. I don't think it has always been like this. Does R&D even make these grates anymore?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture016.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	30091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture022.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	30092  

Thread Information