Speedster/Sportster performance data

I found some really nice info on boattest.com about the relationship MPG vs RPM.

According to their test, the peak performance is reached at 5000 rpm or 27 mph and the consumption is then 4.62 mpg. Here's their chart, or you can find the whole table in the document attached.

The complete test data can be found at: http://www.boattest.com/boats/Sea-Doo/tested_brand.aspx . Most Seadoo jetboats have also been tested. Cool site!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test results.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	29924  

I saw that too. Thanks for posting it. My sportster will hold plane at 4700 rpm about 20-22 mph but below 4700 rpm the boat falls off plane.

Maybe I don't understand how to read that chart but at 4700 RPM the fuel consumption is sky rocketing and it make is read like the best fuel economy is just prior to planing which doesn't make sense to me.

Maybe my wear ring is slipping and I have to spin faster to get on plan. When do other sportster SCIC boat owners boats plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Filoo View Post
    I found some really nice info on boattest.com about the relationship MPG vs RPM.

According to their test, the peak performance is reached at 5000 rpm or 27 mph and the consumption is then 4.62 mpg. Here's their chart, or you can find the whole table in the document attached.

The complete test data can be found at: http://www.boattest.com/boats/Sea-Doo/tested_brand.aspx . Most Seadoo jetboats have also been tested. Cool site!

fuel is skyrocketing because its only at 20 MPG right at 4500RPMs. At 4750RPMs your getting the highest miles per gallon (red line). Has to be the point at which the boat goes on plane and drops most of the drag....

vwDavid,

Actually, the higher the red line goes, the better. This is the MPG, the number of miles you can get out a single gallon of gas. So, 4,700 is actually the most "efficient" RPM.

You are right, my Speedster needs 20 mph or 4700rpm to hold on planes, below that, it falls back and just pushes water (which is why right before planning, 4,000 rpm is actually the worst because on gallon will only get you 2 miles or so while 500 extra rpm will get you twice as far.)

The fuel consumption can be read from the table attached, under the "Total GPH" column. At 5,000 rpm, you use 5.9 gallons per hour, but since you're litterally flying above the water, you will get pretty far on a full tank at that speed (87 miles according to the "range" column)

So the lesson from all this is, if (like me the other day) your stupid fuel gauge screws up and you end up running on fumes, your best chances to make it to the fuel pump is to throttle up to 2200rpm and pray. A better lesson is not to trust the gauge and regularly stick your head upside down the engine bay to check on your tank level directly .

Duh! Thanks. MPG was staring me in the face but I was reading GPH instead!

Really you'd putt along at 2200 RPM if you were dangerously low on fuel? 4750-5000 RPM is the same consumption (per distance) and you'll know you're fate much sooner!

Quote Originally Posted by vwDavid View Post
    Really you'd putt along at 2200 RPM if you were dangerously low on fuel? 4750-5000 RPM is the same consumption (per distance) and you'll know you're fate much sooner!

You are absolutely correct. I meant to write 22mph, not 2200rpm (stayed up way too late last night...). I guess we all got our wires crossed on this post! Yes, 4750-5000 rpm is definitely the best performance. Thanks for the correction!

Thread Information