Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Riva Power Filter Kit.......why do I feel scammed?

Okay,

I fried my impeller/wear ring last weekend and thought, well, if I have to buy a new impeller, I might as well get a stage 1 kit for my RXT.

So I'm shopping around, and ironically, I find the stage 1 kits range from $670 all the way to $770.

The kit is for sale on Riva's website for $741. So I call them and ask them what's the deal? The guy says, the kit is for sale at $741.....take it or leave it. So obviously I buy it from one of their vendors for $670.

I did some research and anticipated having to buy a solas impeller tool (at some point, solas stopped supplying the tool with their impellers and as such, it no longer comes with it from Riva). Anyway, I asked specifically and the vendor said yes, it comes with it. Sure enough.....no tool. So now tomorrow I have to scramble around town trying to get a stock (and more expensive) impeller tool in time to get the impeller changed out before 4th of July.

Anyway, so I figure I'll install the other components tonight. After an hour and a half of sweating and contorting my body to try to change out the "power filter" I finally realize that I've been scammed. The OEM intake tube is essentially the same as the aftermarket one. Hell, there are only 17 different intakes on the thing to begin with. I'd be willing to be that if you did an independent dyno test on the engines with OEM and with the "power filter" you'd find that the hp gains are negligible.

I'm a car guru too so I've seen firsthand experience of the oh so wonderful "cold air kit" or "velocity tube kits" in action. I'll grant you that on a blown engine, a small restriction can significantly reduce the amount of air the blower can pull and as such the hp the engine can create, but again, that's on engines with severly restrictive intakes/filters. The stock RXT system doesn't seem to me to be much different than the Riva kit.

More than that, its just that it's a royal pain in the ass to install this kit. I mean c'mon. Electrical work? For a fuggin filter kit? I find myself relocating heat sinks and rerouting wiring brackets and electrical tape. Hell, at one point, (for whatever reason) it asks you to remove the throttle body (and really doesn't explain why). I'm thinking maybe it might have something to do with the fact that you can't snake the mothertrucking hard plastic tube into its final resting place without either jacking the engine up on that side or something. I guess I'll have to figure that out tomorrow.

My advice. Skip the stage I kit. I'm certain that a new profiled impeller and the pump wedge (increased trim) account for 99% of the stage I improvement over stock. The competition OPAS kit really doesn't do much to help the ski go through the water faster either, it just helps you a little in off power steering in choppy water. (I bet you'd be better off spending money on some better sponsons). The intake grate seems to be very functional and I'm pretty sure that's part of the improvement on hole shots as well as the better impeller.

Readers' digest version: Skip the OPAS kit and the power filter kit, as the bang/buck are very low. (and the install is nothing short of dumb......it shouldn't take 2 hours to install a fuggin filter.)

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    wow! you really feel violated!
    welcome to the board!

Quote Originally Posted by GeoRXT View Post
    wow! you really feel violated!
    welcome to the board!
    Did you install the power filter on yours? How did you get the tube under the engine without tearing out fiberglass or jacking the engine up?

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    On my RXT there was no need to tear ot anything or jack the fiberglass....I wonder why you had this problem, I mean it IS a pain in the butt but not to this extent.

Im taking mine out withing the next two weeks to go with the 4" intake

took me about 60 min but thats on a rxp. 30 min of that was removing the old air intake the rest was downhill.

Ditto the 1 hr

45 min getting old out---------

I am sold on performance gains- did this all alone and saw good gains!

+1
    There are gains from the power filter, you will see as soon as you hit the water. Sorry you had such a hard time installing it

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    There are gains from the power filter, you will see as soon as you hit the water. Sorry you had such a hard time installing it
    You ain't kiddin'

I figured it would be easy.

I'd rather change out the exhaust manifold on a late model car

I just reread the directions....

Step #11: " '07RXT and GTX-SC: Remove four bolts securing throttle body to intake manifold. Lift throttle body up and rest on top edge of intake manifold. (see illustration). From rear of engine compartment, insert straight end of Power Filter Tube into engine compartment and route along right side of engine. When you encounter resistance tap end of tube past point of resistance so it drops into engine compatment."

I'm tempted to simply cut it in half and add another silicone sleeve. Call me crazy, but that's what Riva should have done in the first place instead of expecting you to force it by hitting on it.......I like to do things the right way, instead of southern engineer it.

I agree that's the install is a royal pain in the arse. Pretty expensive too for what you get IMHO.

The worst part of the install was taking out the POS stock intake.

Whats the deal with the 4" intake? Is that the Riva rear intake? If I do alot of ocean riding will there be an issue taking on water?

What the RXT needs is a high flow hood to feed in more cool air.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information